Riding the Top

“A person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds.” -Mark Twain

--------------------------------------------

Heres the next chapter. Sorry it took so long! Hope you like it, I sure do, and I also try to leave you the best cliffhangers. I know I haven't played Vegas in a while but I might do it next chapter. He's just not as fun ;)

--------------------------------------------

1, 2, 3..... 1, 2, 3...... 1, 2, 3....JUMP!

I raised out of the saddle just the moment Vegas lifted his front legs to cover a three foot high liverpool.

We landed smoothly, and I slowed Vegas into a walk, then moved over to Sarah. Shhe looked delighted.

"Oh, Lara, you've imrpoved so much! You'll be ready for that show this weekend for sure! Your the best student that's ever ridden Vegas!" She squealed.

"Oh, Sarah, I'm not that good." I shook my hand and rolled my eyes playfully. "Now, if you don't mind, we should get back to the lesson."

"Oh, yes, definitely, honey." Sarah smirked, knowing I hated it when she called me that. "I want you to jump this entire course!"

"But I haven't memorized a course!"

"Thats A-OK! You make your own course, and I'll judge you on your position and how well you handle Vegas. From the way you've been riding for the past week, you'll get a 1000!"

"Yeah right," I shrugged, before turning Vegas away and pushing him into a steady canter.

I listened and rocked gently to the beat of his hooves. We headed for a cross bar, an easy jump, and I counted in my head.

We soared over our first jump.

And we soared over our final jump too.

Sarah rushed over to us when I slowed him to a walk.

"Lara! Your amazing!" Her endless praise was so full of pleasure, I felt confidence run through my veins. I was so ready for this show.

"Thanks, Sarah."

"You'll be getting a blue ribbon, if not a few of them!" She winked at me and I shrugged.

"I sure hope so. Because it might be the only thing I'll have to remember Vegas with." I sighed and stroked his neck.

"Oh, Lara.... Don't worry. We aren't selling him! In fact, I just found out that when you leave, Daisy is going to start leasing him as her backup is Thor ever gets hurt!" Sarah looked excited. I tried to smile with her, but this was even worse.

Leaving Vegas to suffer Daisy's wrath? Definitely not!

I sat inside the bathroom, the door locked. The cell phone ringed.

"Hello, this is Sharlene McRae."

"Hi mom!" I said cheerfully.

"Oh, hey hun, how's camp?"

"Great, mommy. But I have a question..." I took a deep breath. Here we go. Ready, set, go...

"Can we buy Vegas?"

I heard my mom cough then go siilent on the other end of the line, then she began. "Hun, now you know we can't afford a horse..."

"But, but, mommmyyy!" I felt my eyes brim with tears. I had hoped she'd agree and say yes. Vegas was my horse at heart, andleaving him behind to be ridden by Daisy was totally upsetting.

"Now, honey, maybe a few months after your back, we can look into buying another hors-"

"I dont want another horse! I want vegas, and Vegas only!" I couldn't help myself. I let the tears flood out, and I managed to sob, "I gotta go. bye," before hanging up.

She just didn't understand. I loved Vegas more than anything else. He wasn't even mine -yet- but I could tell that we were meant to be together!

I sat there, crying, for about twenty minutes, when I finally shook myself and said, "Lara, you've got to be strong. You'll find a way to make sure Vegas won't suffer from Daisy. You always find a way."

If I only I could be certain about it. I hated Daisy's guts, and I've seen her smack Thor for no reason, multiple times, with her crops. I'm surprised he doesn't have scars on his croup from being smacked so often.

I walked out to the barn with my head down, so nobody could see my bloodshot eyes and red cheeks.

As I walked into the barn, Vegas poked his head over his stall door and whinnied a greeting. He used to do that for everyone, but now only for me, I've noticed. I was his mommy, his owner.

I stroked his forehead before walking into his stall and hugging his neck. I planted this moment in my mind, when I realized, he'd wrapp his head over so he was hugging me back.

I had taught him tricks before, like kiss and bow, but never this. I'd never taught him to hug, and look at him now, he was hugging me.

I began to cry, wondering....

How was I supposed to leave him?