Prologue: Cardinals

*STOP!!!! THE FOLLOWING STORY IS THE FINAL BOOK TO FEELS LIKE FOREVER & REPEATING APOLOGIES. I ASSUME YOU HAVE READ THOSE SINCE YOU ARE HERE BUT IN CASE YOU DIDN'T I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU DO SO YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON AND STUFF. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ IT AND WANT TO FEEL COMPLETELY LOST AS YOU READ ALONG, THEN FOLLOW YOUR DREAM & GO ON AHEAD! BUT FORREAL, READ THOSE FIRST, K? :3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I should have been there when you needed a friend. I was off on my own again, selfish and stupid."

*Johnnie's POV*

"Where the hell is my camera?"

I'm looking through my luggage trying to find my camera to vlog for the day. Today was the last day of Warped Tour and I had already packed up all my things. We were leaving first thing in the morning and I know I wasn't going to be up for packing so early in the morning. But now I regret packing early cause I can't find my stupid camera!

"Hey Johnnie looking for this?" Jordan appears at the doorway with my camera in his hand.

"Where was it? Did you have it this whole time?!"

He laughs. "I'm not evil like Bryan or Damon. It was in the bathroom. Don't even know why it was there in the first place." He hands me my camera.

"Thank you. Now I have to get all my shit back in my bag."

"Need help? I don't mind."

"Yeah. Thanks." I start putting my things back in my bag but then stop when my phone vibrates. Got a message.

"Is that Skye again?" Jordan asks.

"W-What? No. It's not."

"Johnnie you liar! You always have that look on your face when you're texting Skye."

"What look? I don't know what you're talking about."

"You get this goofy smile on your face whenever she texts you. It's obvious by now." He laughs. "You and Skye have been talking a lot huh?"

I told Jordan about what's been going on between Skye and I. I've filled him in with pretty much everything that's happened. I don't know, I just wanted to talk to about the whole thing. Sure Bryan has always talked to me and helped me with my problems with Skye. But I wanted to talk to someone who's had dating experience. Jordan and his girlfriend have been together for a long time, I needed someone to talk to. Someone to tell me if me wanting to be with Skye is even worth it anymore. Skye and I did breakup, but that doesn't mean I haven't stopped loving her. I'll always love her. I decided to text Skye one night when everyone else was at some BBQ and well we've been talking ever since. Which is good. I always liked talking to her. And the good thing is that it hasn't been awkward. I'm glad we can talk like friends and be cool about all this.

"Yeah we have." I put my phone to the side and continue packing. "She just got to her friend's house in San Jose. They're moving to their apartment within the next day or two."

Skye talked to me about her getting accepted last minute for the fall semester. I told her to go for it. I knew how much she wanted this. And I'm happy for her. I'm happy that she'll be closer to me too.

"I'm glad she got there safe. Guess you two will be seeing each other-"

I look up to Jordan to see why he suddenly stopped mid sentence. I freeze up seeing what caught his attention. He's holding a small box. I must've taken it out by mistake while looking for my camera. I could've swore I shoved it deep into the depths of my bag.

"T-That's nothing!"

I try taking it from him but he gets up and walks over to the bunk area. I follow close behind still trying to get it back but he won't budge.

"Johnnie! Is this what I think it is?" He excitedly says.

"NO!"

"It is! Johnnie were you really going to propose?"

"NO!" I finally take the box back and put it in my hoodie pocket, feeling embarrassed. "It was more like a promise ring thing. I-I was going to give it to her when I went to prom with her. We went to this garden, we sat down, we talked a bit, and that's when I was going to give it to her...but then she broke up with me." Recalling the memory still hurts to this day. I open the box and give it to Jordan so he can see. "I was going to give it to her as a graduation gift, hoping she'd change her mind about everything...but I changed my mind last minute. I wasn't ready. I had to change and become better before even thinking of being with her." I sigh. "I wanted to be her everything, be there for her, just like I promised. I remember back when we first dated I told her that one day I did want to marry her...but everything's changed since then. Really didn't expect all this to happen. Everything's changed but my feelings for her. I still love her just like I did when we first met, even more now that I think of it."

Jordan hands me back the box. "It's really nice. I can tell you really love her."

"More than anything."

"So do that Johnnie. Show her that you do. Everything you've been telling me about her, you should tell her. Make her feel special and let her know that you'll be in it for the long run. I know you guys aren't together anymore, but I am positive that you guys will soon. I know you guys will. I think you know what you have to do to win her back." He smiles.

"Thanks Jordan. You know I'm really going to miss you and your talks. You've really helped everything. Even helping me become a better person for Skye."

"You've always been a great person. You just needed a little push." He playfully shoves my shoulder and laughs. "And you know I'm just a text away buddy. And I'll be back soon. Just remember everything we talked about. And you guys better be together by the time I come visit again."

I smile as I put the box back in my bag and zip it up. "There's plenty of time for me to work on that now that she'll be closer. I just hope things work out this time around."

"I'm sure they will. But hey, we still have time before the meetup, want to continue working on that song?"

I go into my bunk and take out a folded piece of paper from my pillowcase. It's the song that Skye gave me, the one that I said I was going to work on for her. No matter what, I can make this work. I want to be there for Skye, just like I promised. I mean it this time. This one's for you.

"I know that I failed you. Woke up in a sweat, I want those years back. So if you call me back or let me in, I swear, I'll never let you down again. I know the devil you've been fighting with. I swear I'll never let you down again."

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

A/N: If you're reading this, Welcome to the final feel trip. You are awesome for being here <3

Here it is the first update to Dreaming Alone :D I hope you're all ready for what I have planned for this story. I want this to be just as great as the first two books or even better! Thank you all for reading and I hope you liked this prologue. I will be back with an update real soon. I have a crazy work schedule ahead of me but the minute I get some time to myself I'll post the update :) Thanks again for reading, Much Love, KBYE <3