Chapter 6: Of Origins and Alliances

23 Sha'baan, 1663

Three days had passed in full since the most recent council meeting. Juan Gutierrez had summoned the other council members and his associates for an impromptu battle planning. Without the arrival of any Cross delegates, Juan was afforded all of the freedom that he needed to plan and carry out his revenge crusade in the nearby lands. And plan he did.

It was just before the setting of the sun, and Juan was busy in plotting along with a small band of his closest trustees. Holding the highest rank among the city officials, Juan faced no opposition in his planning. He and his men were gathered around a large table with an enormous map of the nearest nations spread out for strategizing.

The man seemed to have an insatiable thirst for blood, something which worried even his comrades at times. He proposed numerous attacks, and among them was one in which there seemed to be no purpose other than bloody slaughter. Neither vengeance nor tactical grounds would be gained by the attack, but nonetheless he had the people convinced that it was necessary. It was his crusade, and everyone else looked only to follow in his lead.

As the arid winds outside whirred on hauntingly, there came a knock upon the door. Juan snapped up from his table, ordering one of his servant men to tend to the door. The man obediently marched over towards the door, reaching out to slide open a metal lock. Checking through the opened crack in the door, his eyes were immediately drawn to the familiar golden insignia on one man's armor which could be recognized all throughout the lands.

Without question, he unhinged the lock and opened the door. There stood before him three men, all dressed in white with silver armor covering their shins, chests, and forearms. Their red capes and armor were adorned with golden crosses, varying in size and design according to the ranks of their wearers.

Without so much as a word, the men breezed right past him with stern looks upon their faces. They immediately approached Juan and the other men, introducing themselves before getting straight to business in discussing their mission. It seemed that they had been sent with new orders from the leader of The Cross about the governance in the land and the separate city-states. Just as they had interrupted Juan's discussion, however, their discussion was similarly interrupted.

"E-excuse me sirs," a voice from across the room called. Juan and the lead man from amongst the delegates turned to face him as he stood, holding the door slightly ajar. In the distance behind the open door there approached to figures, their faces hidden by the glare of the red sun. "Are these two men accompanying you?"

"We know of no one else joining our party," one of the men quickly offered before turning back to his discussion with Juan.

The servant shrugged and turned to shut the door before suddenly he came to recognize one of the figures. Beside a shorter, lanky companion there marched a tall, bearded man of olive complexion and burly stature. From his broad shoulders down, he was dressed in a tattered, chestnut colored shirt which hung over light-brown pants; the humble appearance of a mere peasant. His long black hair, reaching to his shoulders, coupled with his thick brown beard was like a majestic mane. And the deadly ax hung in a sling from a belt around his waist made it perfectly clear who he was.

"El Leon de España," the man whispered to himself in awe. He'd heard legends of El Leon; indeed, he knew all about him. Nonetheless, this was the first time he had ever seen him in person. At least, the first time since he had become Spain's guardian Lion.

Before becoming the fierce warrior who was respected throughout the lands, Gabriel Guerrero was a simple slave to the tyrannical governor of a town neighboring his own. The man had taken Gabriel as a slave years ago after slaying his mother and father in a tribal war. Gabriel grew up knowing only slavery and servitude, never seeking honor or glory, or any goal for that matter. Gabriel was as hopeless and destitute as any man could be.