Chapter 38: Mission Accomplished

20 Shawwal , 1663

"Let me through," the man exclaimed as he barged through the wooden doors. With a vein throbbing in his ruddy forehead, he had his fist clenched around the upper garments of a rather stubborn companion of his, dragging him into the building against his will. Behind them marched a stiff and formal young man, his hands clasped behind his back. As the trio stormed into the building, they were halted by the domineering presence of an older guardsman.

"What is the meaning of this?" he demanded. Before them stood a man whose towering figure was as impressive as it was intimidating. Despite his aged appearance, the stern look on his face made it clear that he was no pushover. Dressed in a simple white thobe with the tail of his black turban thrown over his wide shoulders, the guard stared the men down with authority. "Who dares to enter causing such clamor and ruckus?"

"I am here to see-" the man began before he was cut off.

"You will do no such thing," the guard declared. "I cannot allow for anyone to barge in without prior arrangements. There are no appointments at this time; therefore you must leave from here at once. You will not be permitted to disturb-"

"Let them through, ya Muthanna," a hoarse voice called out from a separate room. Al-Muthanna exhaled lightly before stepping aside and motioning for the men to pass through. The foremost of men continued through, pulling his reluctant companion along and the third man followed suit. The moment the men entered the room they were reprimanded by yet another man of old age. Though he was only a few years senior to his guardsman, his poor health and fragile body made a striking contrast between the two. Just as well, his humble, soft-spoken nature nearly concealed the esteemed status he truly held. Nonetheless, when he spoke, the people listened. "Whatever case you bring, there should be no harming and no reciprocating of harm; therefore you should release your grip and deal respectfully with one another."

The man immediately unclasped the other's shirt and took a step aside, humbly keeping his head down. Now freed, the other man dusted himself off and sighed before looking up with a gulp. Before either of them could speak, Al-Muthanna entered the room and approached his superior. "Ya Amir-ul-Muslimeen," he beseeched him. "You cannot afford to concern yourself with hearing every trivial case that is brought before you; you must consider your health. The medics said-"

"The medics will not be questioning me on Yawmul Qiyamah, ya Muthanna. The leader of a nation is but a servant to the people. I must fulfill my duty to the fullest extent; lest a day come when Allah questions me, 'Did I not place you in power over these servants of mine? Why then did you not deal justly with them and give them their due rights?'"

"Ya Amir, why do you not summon your council to deal with this matter at a later time? You have certainly done justice to the people and you are most certainly a kind and fair ruler; there is none who could dispute that. But if you do not do justice by yourself by resting and heeding the advice of your medics, I fear that the illness will increase and you may be taken from us. Who then will rule over us?"

"If Allah Wills to take my life, there is no one on Earth who could prevent Him or delay that time. If you say to me that I am doing injustice to my body, then I say to you that I would rather sacrifice my own rights than withhold the rights of the people under my authority. Do you contest to this?"

"No, sir," Al-Muthanna relented. "Do as you wish, and please forgive me for overstepping my boundaries."

"All is well," the Amir replied with a nod of understanding. He brought his sickly-pale hand up to stroke his gray beard, breathing lightly before a light coughing fit overtook him. Al-Muthanna jumped to be at his side, but when the coughing ceased the Amir held out his arm and assured him that he was fine. Al-Muthanna sighed and clasped his hands behind his back before standing beside the station of his ruler. Finally, the case was allowed to begin. "State your names and this matter between you."