Chapter 25: The Sanctuary

28 Sha'baan, 1663

It'd been three days since the chief announced that he would personally teach Dhul-Kifl and Tariq to understand their language and learn their knowledge. It'd also been three days since he announced that they would never be allowed to leave. So far, he'd held true on both words. Tariq and Dhul-Kifl were not allowed to even leave the sight of the chief or his guards. And the chief became well acquainted with the both of them, sitting with them in their assigned huts to teach them the language. They spent hours going over the letters and signs of reading the language and pronouncing it. Both were learning at their own pace, with Tariq picking up a little faster because of his young mind. He was only near his thirtieth year, whereas the General was nearing his fourty-third. Still, both were learning at an incredible pace.

"Ebunos idas," the chief said, entering upon the two who'd just completed their Fajr prayer.

"Good morning," Tariq replied.

"Today I have decided I will allow you to reenter into our library."

"I don't think we are able to read your books just yet," Dhul-Kifl spoke, turning around in his seat. "Are you sure this will be more beneficial than furthering our usual studying?"

"Yes," the chief said with a smile. "Your primary reason for learning our language is to understand the information, no?"

"Yes."

"Indeed, and so what better way to test your progress than to expose you to the very information you are seeking. Come now, we will take you to the library for you both to pick one book which you will attempt to read." Tariq and Dhul-Kifl stood to follow the chief out of the hut. The sky was a misty blue color as the sun peaked from behind the green mountains and trees in the distance. The cool night air was soon to give way to the hot and heavy air of the jungle in a short time.

The men walked through the huts, following the barefoot chief until they stood beside a large tree. Before either of them could utter a word of question the daughter of the chief emerged from behind the tree. Tariq turned away in annoyance the moment he saw her. Dhul-Kifl similarly lowered his gaze and a slight smirk appeared on the chief's face. He motioned for them all to continue on and he led the trio towards the library just a short way from there.

Arriving at the front of the library, the group was met by the sight of two strong guards standing at the entrance, holding makeshift bows. Their painted faces held unrelenting frowns, their stares stern and attentive. The chief gave a nod to both and they stepped aside. He motioned for the others to follow him inside. The light from outside shone through just enough for the library to be dimly lit. They could move about freely, seeing any obstacles that were in the way.

"Take any book or scroll you wish," the chief spoke to the two men. "May your choosing be well. Empratrisa, go and fetch me the Spider Scroll." The chief's daughter nodded and walked away. She passed by Tariq who almost shuddered when he felt her hair brush past his neck. He sighed angrily and was about to turn and speak when he saw she'd gone past him and was over by a cylindrical statue. Looking upon the stone cylinder, Tariq could see an outline of webs and vines and carvings of spiders big and small, along with the figure of man with a spiders' body for a head.

Empratrisa pushed the heavy cylinder aside and an opening in the ground was revealed to be a passageway underground. She lowered herself into the hole and descended down the path. Tariq raised an eyebrow and then turned back to the chief. "What's down there?" he asked curiously.

"More books, scrolls, and things of the like," the chief answered. "But you needn't worry about those; they are too advanced for your understanding. Please choose a book or scroll from among what you see before you." The chief turned his back, dismissing any further comments or questions Tariq might have had. Tariq went ahead to go and select a book along with Dhul-Kifl.