Chapter 30: Battle of Ideals

14 Shawwal, 1663

Gabriel stood, fastening a leather guard around his forearm. Today was the day. It was time to march out in what would be the first united effort to take on the Kwaadi in history. The Christians and the Muslims, enemies in the lands, united in the cause of God; to protect the rights and freedoms of believers to worship and liberate the lands from the tyranny of Kwaade.

Gabriel had personally been at the forefront of this alliance and believed in it with full conviction. Despite its initial lack of popularity among the people, both poor and nobles, the union was able to gain support with the backing of the Cross. If this strategy proved effective it could open the way for further alliances and perhaps someday the thing most everyone wanted: peace.

Gabriel placed his ax in its holster and strode out to his wife and children. He looked to his wife and she gave a reassuring nod of approval before embracing him in a hug along with their children. Gabriel kissed the cheeks of each of his children, even kneeling to kiss his pregnant wife's stomach where their unborn child remained. He stood and gave his wife one final peck on the lips before turning towards the door. It was time to set out.

Gabriel exited his home and headed towards the stables where his canine companion greeted him affectionately. He petted the dog's head and rubbed behind its ears. "Take care of mi familia," he spoke. He stood and walked over to his horse. Once he had it saddled up and ready to go, he left the stables and rode out into the streets. He looked to his home one last time, seeing Perito wagging his tail standing at the door to watch him leave. His wife, Ramona, made her way to the door to see him off as well. She gave a weak smile and a wave. Gabriel gave a salute as his horse turned and slowly trotted off. Under his breath, he whispered words of prayer to God to protect his family and let him return safely, and successful, to them.

Arriving early to the meeting room, Gabriel dismounted his horse and tied its reigns. He walked into the meeting room to see the familiar faces of many men he'd fought beside before, as well as those of men he hadn't met. It was an assembly of men so that every troop could gather under their assigned leaders and for all of the men to be reminded of the battle strategy before setting out.

Gabriel scanned the room for Ishaq; he hadn't seen or heard from the young man since his departure to the eastern islands. When his eyes fell on the lean body, dressed in his familiar brown rags, turban wrapped over his face and all, he smiled. Beside him stood five other men, all dressed in a similar style save for the armor plates on their chests and arms. Gabriel gave a look to Ishaq and earned a small nod back. He looked around the room further and was met with a smile from General White and his two Cross companions. He walked over to greet them and shake their hands.

"How are you feeling this day?" General White asked him.

"Soy bien*," Gabriel replied. "I am grateful that God has allowed me to be a part of all of this and am anxious to see what we can do."

"Ah, you are not alone in that. It seems your fox friend has made some new friends and they seem rather eager to fight as well. I rather like them personally. In fact, it seems that everyone seems to have put aside their differences and past issues for the sake of this cause much easier than expected. Were I not witnessing it myself, I would not believe it; it's too good to be true."

"Sí. And that's why we cannot fail here. God is giving us a chance on peace, we must be victorious at all costs."

"Your faith in God and firm conviction for that is what seems to be driving all of this, O Lion. You may not be the governor of this land, but I think you would make a far superior leader than Juan."

"Speaking of that man, where is he? I've yet to see him and have heard no word of his return."

"Ah, Juan, troublesome fellow he is. He sent a messenger saying there was a delay in his journey back, but insists that we make ready for war and that he and his army from the other cities will join us for the glorious conquest."