Chapter 8: Medical Mission

7 Rajab, 1663

"How much longer until we get there?" Rayhaan Ibn Khamisi complained. "This humid jungle air is making me itchy."

Following under the naval Captain Dhul-Kifl ibn Hisham, Rayhaan, along with Adam ibn Al-Sharif, -his milk-brother- Tariq Ibn Sulayman, -their cousin- and Ali ibn Nadeem -Dhul-Kifl's apprentice- had been sent out to the southeastern jungle regions of the Southern Continent. After a long journey at sea and a day of marching, Rayhaan had begun to grow impatient. The thick, humid air was difficult to breathe and the combined heat was an additional source of irritation. Insects buzzed about in the men's faces and the chirps of various birds echoed around the green jungle scene. Carrying bags of supplies and swords at their sides, the men marched on through for their mission.

"Shall we take another break?" Captain Dhul-Kifl offered in a soft voice. "If you are fatigued, then I see no reason we cannot rest."

"We're fine," Tariq interjected. "Rayhaan is just complaining without reason. If we do not keep going, it will be dark before we reach our destination."

"Of course," Dhul-Kifl smiled. "Let us continue marching." Slashing away at the large protruding leaves that blocked the path with his sword, Dhul-Kifl led the way through the jungle.

"I never imagined that a place like this could exist," Adam spoke, marveling at the various plants and animals. "So much life, so green, so amazing."

"Yes," Tariq replied. As a highly qualified botanist on his island home, Tariq had acquired a vast amount of knowledge on various types of plant life and habitats. In fact, it was that very knowledge which had gotten him assigned to his current mission under Dhul-Kifl. "These types of lands are far and few, but I've read that in the past there were many of these jungles and rainforests all throughout various parts of the world."

"Really?" Adam asked, unaware. He and his brother had grown up far away in another land working as simple sheep-farm guards. They had only joined the mission because of their cousin's assignment to the task. Adam sought to explore new lands and Rayhaan was lured by the promise of adventure and a hope of attaining some sort of personal glory. As of yet, however, they were only to get an educated about some basic information from their older cousin Tariq.

"Yes. Unfortunately, everything was changed when the Great Wars took place. Human life was not the only casualty, rather many plants and animals were killed either directly or through extreme environmental changes. Dangerous chemicals polluted many of the lands, leaving behind the deadly wastelands that we all know today. Certain species of plants, however, were able to adapt and their very nature was altered in some ways. Take for example, Pereskia Grandifolia, the very rose cactus we are here to obtain."

"Why is this plant so important again?" Ali queried.

"It is important because its thorns and rose petals can be used with a few other ingredients to brew a unique blend tea with highly effective healing properties. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) was reported to have said that Allah (God) has placed on earth a cure for every disease and illness, except death. And the Amir, whom I remind you is terribly ill, needs this cure for his sickness."

"Ah yes," Ali remembered. "I suppose we cannot have our only leader getting sick and dying on us."

"No, we certainly cannot. In these times of war and increasing struggle, the Muslims need a leader to guide them and take care of them. There are already small disputes here and there about our Amir, as you know. Unfortunately, the sectarianism of the past has not yet left our Ummah; and so there are some people who still argue against the Amir's legitimacy as our leader. Alhamdulillah, they have not completely abandoned the Muslim unity, but if the Amir passes it may not be so easy to find a replacement whom all of the people will agree to follow."