Not Yet

Michael's POV

When night fell, Michael felt the sudden change in the air. It was as if the warmth of the day was quickly vacuumed away by an invisible force. He shifted in his chair, his patience starting to wane.

"Michael."

The Holy Knight shuddered at his name. He swallowed, feeling sweat trickle down his neck. His gaze flickered to Lucinda's cell; dark and unnerving. Michael knew the silver chain had been positioned correctly and Lucinda could never move it and yet, why did he feel so uneasy? She had slept for the rest of the day till now.

"Michael," she said. "Are you alone?"

Her voice sounded so soft and genuine. Was she frightened? Did she know what would happen to her after Gabriel and the others came back? She had to suspect, right? Michael opened his mouth to speak, but no sound came out. He cleared his throat and tried again.

"I'm here," he said.

"They're going to kill me, right?"

Despite years of training, Michael's heart betrayed him. Lucinda groaned loudly and, was that a . . . sob? He rose to his feet without thinking and approached the cell door.

"Is this what I get for helping?" she continued in a softer voice, though loud enough to be heard. "Don't they know how much it hurt to help?"

"I'm . . . sorry," Michael said, feeling so pathetic. What else could he say? He felt so powerless.

"I didn't want to become a monster. She forced me. Don't they know that? Don't they care? I'm not evil."

"Lucinda," he murmured. He pressed his forehead against the door. "I'm so sorry. This is all my fault. If I had been stronger, if I had been able to – I am to blame for making you like this."

"Will you stay with me until then?" she asked. "I don't think I can . . ." She trailed off. "I don't want to be alone."

Michael looked up and into the darkness of the cell. He could sense her inside. "Of course," he said. "It's the least I can do."

"Thank you," she said. "Will you pray for my soul, as well? My father – I can't face him like this. He needs to know that I did repent and that I tried to help people. This was not my choice."

"Yes, yes," Michael said. "I can do that for you. He won't be disappointed in you, Lucinda. You found those villagers. You returned them to their family. He will be proud."

"Thank you," she repeated. She was silent for a moment. "Michael?"

"What is it?"

"I know this might be too much," she said, "but can you stay with me in the cell? I – I know you will stay, but I want the physical closeness. I want to see someone instead of this darkness. Please."

Michael hesitated. It wasn't like he couldn't. There wouldn't be any harm in staying in the cell with her. Lucinda had accepted her fate. The least he could do was comfort her with prayers and his companionship. What kind of knight would he be if he let her face something like this on her own? Despite his regrets, she didn't deserve this isolation.

"Alright," he said. "Let me get a candle and I'll join you soon enough."

It didn't take long for him to join Lucinda in her cell. He dragged a chair next to the door and sat back on it, his gaze on Lucinda. She sat against the wall, her legs drawn up to her chest, her gaze unfocused. They sat in silence as the candle light wavered, dancing shadows casting an ominous look to the walls.

"Thank you," he heard her whisper. "Thank you for not leaving me here."

Michael felt a twinge of guilt in his chest. If only he had arrived sooner to save her. He dropped his gaze to his hands. In all his years as a Holy Knight, there hadn't been a single thing he regretted, but seeing Lucinda broken and as a vampire – he couldn't find peace. He was the one to blame.

"I can sense your guilt."

Lucinda's word made him jump. He looked up, meeting her gaze. Her expression seemed softer, a smile almost forming on her lips. "Don't blame yourself," she said. "I was a stubborn fool. You helped me save those people. I couldn't have done it without you." She shrugged. "I guess, I am paying for all my mistakes."

"I will bring justice to the Sheriff," he promised. "His crime will be known. I will make sure the Church punishes him for it. That, I swear."

"Justice," she said. "I would like that. After all, he will also be responsible for my death. Even for all the others, too. That man can not be allowed to roam free."

"He won't."

Lucinda pushed herself off the wall, sitting at the edge of the bed. She held her hand out, her eyes beseeching him for the comfort. Michael found himself standing and taking her hand in his. Her cool hand closed around his. Unlike with the other vampires, he had no disgust for Lucinda. If anything, he wished she didn't have to die. She didn't deserve it.

"It's strange," she said. "I will miss the warmth of a man's hand than anything else."

She stood, surprising Michael. They were so close to another another that he could see the thickness of her eyelashes. She smiled more warmly now and even leaned forward, her face disappearing behind a curtain of long hair.

"But there is one thing that I cannot miss in this world," she whispered. "And that's the Sheriff's death by my hands."

A sudden force knocked into his abdomen, winding him. With a grunt, Michael fell on his knees. Lucinda's grip was the only thing keeping him upright. He gasped like a dying fish, his mind unable to comprehend what was happening.

"Forgive me," Lucinda was saying. "I wished you no harm, but I cannot stay here and wait for death. I must have my revenge even if it means having you as my enemy."

Suddenly, Michael was falling face down. His face hit the cobblestone, sending pikes of pain through his face. The only sound he could hear was his thundering heart and his own strangled intakes of air. He needed to stand. He couldn't let Lucinda get away. But even as his thoughts raged on, he knew where she was going. That was where he would capture her.