Vengeance

Lucinda POV

I didn't allow myself to feel guilty. I couldn't afford to think that way. No matter how much I had gotten to know Michael, he was still a Holy Knight and he would still kill me. I couldn't let that happen. My revenge couldn't be hindered by death. If I was already going to Hell then, I really had nothing to lose.

It didn't take me long to reach the cave. If the world crumbled, I would never forget where it is. Reaching the entrance, I skidded to a halt. Faint scents of my brethren filled the air. Even the Holy Knights' scents lingered, but the scents were strange. The Knights had been here, but they hadn't gone inside. Something had happened. Then, another strange scent reached me. It was a contorted scent; twisting in its nature. Puzzled, I sniffed the air. What was it? It didn't belong to human or vampire.

A twig snapped behind me. I swirled around, hearing a thwack. A blinding ray of light pierced through the air. Suddenly, pain exploded against my knee. Crying out, I crumbled to the ground. Wincing, I pushed myself up, awkwardly, on my elbows. Throbs of pain shot through my right leg.

A figure walked out from behind the trees, crossbow in hand. The Sheriff smiled. "Thought you could get away, right?" He shook his head. "No."

He reached behind him, grabbing a bolt and placing it on the crossbow. "The Vatican sent one over with that priest," he said. "They have so many toys just for vampires." He patted his weapon. "This is the first time I'm trying out this baby. Worked out well, don't you think?"

"Fool," I said. "Do you think that machine can save you?"

The Sheriff laughed. Suddenly, he cried out, sweat rolling down in fat drops. He was breathing heavily, gasping. The realization dawned on me.

"She bit you."

The Sheriff jerked up at the question. "I told her," he said, licking his lips. "I told her, but she didn't believe me. Didn't want to believe her new pet would betray her."

I kept my gaze on the crossbow. My body was starting to feel weak. The silver in the cell had weakened me, but not enough to sap my strength. But now, as it was lodge into my knees, drawing blood, it was killing me.

"She wanted me to get rid of you," I said. "That's why she didn't stop me."

"You're lying! I sacrificed everything for her. She wouldn't betray me." He leveled the crossbow to my chest. "She cares about me. She wouldn't kill me."

Carefully, I moved my leg up. If I could pull out the silver, I could attack. I needed to distract him long enough to do it.

"Then why did she bite you?" I asked. "Sure she might not want to kill you, but now she can easily manipulate you. You're her puppet."

"No more so than you."

I could feel my body trembling. I needed to act and fast. "The Knights," I said. "They were here. What happened to them?"

A twisted smile appeared on his face. "You told them about the nest, didn't you? You thought you could kill your Creator, but you failed. They're going to die soon. Just like you."

"What did you do to them?"

He wagged his finger at me. "Wouldn't you like to know?"

My vision blurred. "Okay, fine," I whispered. I shook my head to clear it. "Don't you see? I told them about the nest to kill them. They captured me. I had to think of something. I knew the Knights wouldn't be strong enough to kill anyone."

"You expect me to believe that? You tried to kill me."

"I knew if I attacked you, they would come to rescue you. It was all part of the plan."