It's Over

A/N: This is the very last chapter of Crimson Queen. It's been an amazing journey and I'm so glad that I have finally finished this. Thank you so much for the support and for reading.

Lucinda's POV

The tainted Knight turned to me. "Follow me," he said. "Bring him. Mother is waiting."

I took my hand off the hilt of Crimson Queen. Gabriel moved away and headed toward the tunnel he'd walked out of. The silver on Michael's armor stung my eyes. I kept my gaze down and grabbed his arm. My hand tingled and itched. In an easy effort, I swung Michael over my shoulder. Death was all around me as I followed the tainted knight. The air was thick with it. Even as Michael's heart echoed in my ears, it was difficult not to notice the silence. The walls curved and continued downward. I could feel the vampires' presence getting closer to closer.

We reached the end of the tunnel and another cave opened up before us. The walls had been carved into levels where red eyes hovered in the darkness. A chill fell over the air and I knew she was there. My creator stood in the middle of the cave, her alabaster skin glowed in the dark. Whatever hope Michael had inspired inside me quivered and the reality of the situation settled in. Figures shifted in the darkness. I placed Michael by the entrance. His breathing was shallow and he wouldn't be any of use yet.

I adjusted his weight so that he was propped up comfortably against the wall. The vampires shifted towards us. I narrowed my eyes at them daring them to attack. I would slice them up before they realized they had died again.

"My daughter," the creature said.

A shiver crawled down my spine. Her voice was slick, enveloping me and robbing me of any desire to act on my own. I watched myself unstrap Crimson Queen and drop it on the ground beside me.

"You came to fruition faster than I had expected," she continued. "You even delivered these men to me. You handed me a greater victory than that fool."

It was clear that she meant the Sheriff. My knees folded and I found myself on the ground. My gaze focused on the rock beneath me.

"You destroyed many of your brothers and sister," my creator said.

Another shiver coursed through me.

"But I will forgive you."

She walked forward and I felt pressure on my head. The pressure moved down my face before reaching my chin. Our eyes met.

"Are you thirsty, my child?"

I felt the other's hunger on my skin. Low guttural growls filled the cave. Gabriel shifted his stance but didn't approach. My creator turned my head toward Michael. I couldn't tell whether he had gained consciousness or not. His breathing was shallow but his heart was steady.

"You've had this man on your mind since your arrival," she said. "I've allowed you your freedom but it's time for you to rid yourself of all human connection. We have a larger war to fight."

She lifted me up with one finger under my chin. My body was not my own. I walked toward Michael almost as if I was dreaming. How could I defy my creator? My throat closed and it started to ache. I was thirsty. Before I knew it, I knelt beside Michael and lifted his head. The silver on his armor stung my eyes. Michael's head rolled to one side exposing his neck. This close, his heart sounded stronger. My mouth ached.

An uneasy sensation swarmed in the back of my mind. It pulled me forward toward Michael's neck. Could I stop? Did I want to? Wouldn't it be so much easier to give in? I have failed already once. The boy had been spared by my fangs but no one else's. It was a mercy. I would make it painless and quick. If I didn't, the others would torment him. It was up to me to keep him from suffering.