Shades of Gray

She walked into the light.

The breath was literally stuck in my throat. The vampire was breathtaking and beautiful without an equal. There wasn't a human woman alive who could match her beauty. Pitch darkness was the color of her hair. It rolled off her pale white shoulders in cascading waves. Eyes as red as blood were piercing and intimidating. Pale full lips were in a thin line. As a woman myself, I couldn't help but be jealous yet honored to be in her presence; I hated that feeling.

I glared up at her. Who was she? How did the Sheriff know her? What were they scheming? Then a thought struck me. She had a son? How was that even possible? I swallowed as her eyes stared at me. My body felt so heavy. I was shaking but not from the cold. It was terror.

"Your name," came the whisper. "Tell me your name."

The words slipped out of my lips as if I had no control over them. "Lucinda Rosewater," I said.

I dug my nails into the palm of my hand. The pain sharpened my mind. I took a deep calming breath. The situation hadn't changed. Only now, I had to escape from a vampire.

"I didn't kill your son," I said. "That man is lying to you."

"I know," the woman said.

The Sheriff visibly paled. He took a step back.

"Then why are you here?" I asked. "There's no vendetta."

"Perhaps," she said, "but vendetta or not, you have caused quite the disturbance."

I frowned. What was she talking about? I glanced at the Sheriff. The color on his face had somewhat returned. He didn't seem to know what she was talking about either.

"You seem to be someone that isn't fooled easily," I said, "so I'll cut to the chase. If you have anything to do with the disappearing townsfolk, I'll kill you."

The Sheriff broke out laughing. I ignored him and glared at the woman. I wouldn't forgive anyone who harmed the townsfolk. If I had to, I would chase them to the ends of the earth. Their heart was going to be mine and on their grave I would impale their head.

"Aren't you amusing," the vampire said unimpressed. "You don't seem to know what kind of situation you are in. Do you honestly think you are going to walk out of here alive?"

I swallowed. The Sheriff had all but gone mute. The smirk was still there though and I was still tied up.

"So, you're going to kill me?" I asked. "Why the speech?"

The woman smiled. A shiver crawled up my spine. Goosebumps erupted all over my body. I didn't like her look.

"Well," she said. "Not entirely alive and not entirely dead."

I felt the blood drain from my face. No, I thought. She can't mean . . .  she's not thinking of turning me into one of them, right? But the answer was clearly written on her face. She did intend to turn me into one of them. 

"I will kill myself first," I hissed. "Do you honestly think I'm going to let you turn me into a monster?"

"Monster?" the woman asked in a sharp tone.

She took a step forward. The room had gotten darker and colder. I pressed down a shudder.

"We are not monsters," she said. "We are a species that feed from another to live. Don't you humans consume animals? You're the monsters. At least, we don't eat our prey's body."

"We don't preach about not being monsters," I retorted. "You're mistake is to think that you are superior when the fact of the matter is that you can't live without us."

The woman smiled faintly. That notion was somehow scarier than the thought of turning into a vampire. I gulped. Even the Sheriff took a small step back.

"You're so naive, child," she said. "All you ever see is the black and white of this world. I have seen all the shades of gray. This life isn't as simple as you think."

She turned to the Sheriff. "Where are the tools?" she asked. 

"Right outside," he said. "I'll go get them."

"You're going to torture me?" I asked. "Didn't you imply you were turning me into a vampire?"

My eyes followed the Sheriff as he disappeared beyond the lamp's light. I couldn't even hear his footsteps anymore.

"You're not a mother," she said. "You wouldn't understand my pain."

"I watched my family burn alive because of that pig!," I cried. "Don't lecture me about pain."

I struggled against the ropes and they still wouldn't budge. My skin was screaming and my effort was unrewarded.

"Your resistance is futile," the woman said. "Relax and accept your fate. When I'm through with you, you'll be begging me to kill you. I will not give you that mercy."

"I won't ask for it," I spat out.

"You have a strong will," she said. "I like that. It will be fun watching you relive that pain over and over again until you're one of us." She smiled. "The great thing about it would be watching you suffer in torment and anguish."

The Sheriff came back. His footsteps sounded hollow to my ears. My heart was throbbing painfully and my mouth was dry. I could feel the blood crust on my skin.

"Here you go ma'am," the Sheriff said holding out a leather bag.

"Let's begin," the woman said.