Poison

A/n I know this is a short chapter but I promise the next one will be longer.

----

Lucinda’s Pov

Only with Michael’s support could I have walked out of the shed. I couldn’t see straight and almost everything in front of me was blurred and twisted out of proportion. My body burned and every breath sent ripples of pain through my body. I could feel beads of sweat rolling down my face. Even the gust of cool night breeze didn’t seem to do much good. My grip on Crimson Queen was one of the few things keeping my attention from wondering.

“How do you know where the townsfolk are being kept?” Michael asked. “Did they tell you?”

It was one of the many questions he had asked over the course of my escape. How much time had gone by? Minutes, hours, seconds? I wasn’t sure anymore. Everything was starting to look the same. Hadn’t we passed the twisted tree a few steps back?

“Lucinda.”

The sound of my name made me jump. I turned toward the voice. What had been the question?”

“How do you know where the townsfolk are being kept?”

It was one of the many questions – I shook my head. My stomach churned at the movement. I swallowed the lump in my throat but that didn’t help the dryness.

“No,” I said. Or at least I thought I did. “I can’t explain how. I just know they are there.”

“This could be a trap,” he said. “The woman you talked about could have told you. In your delusional state, she might be leading us into a trap.”

“I’ll kill as many as I can,” I rasped out. “You just need to stay alive to kill me before I completely turn.”

He stopped. I leaned my weight against him. His armor felt cold to my feverish head.

“You’re taking this better than I expected,” he said. “Not many accept their death so willingly.”

A small smile pulled at my lips. “My father told me that death was just another aspect of life,” I whispered. “Everyone has to go through it. It’s best if it is us who decide how we shall fall.”

“Your father was a wise man,” he said, after a while. “Don’t worry. I won’t let you fall off the path.”

We started walking again. I kept my gaze on the ground, concentrating on the grass. I couldn’t allow my mind to wonder. When we are attacked, I need to be able to fight. Blood continued to pound in my ears. Or was it my own heart beat that I heard? I glanced at Michael’s chest. Why did his heart beat so loud and so clear?

I moved closer to the sound. Saliva flooded my mouth. I took a deep breath. His scent was so intoxicating and rich. His skin looked transparent. Thick veins bulged in his neck. If I could have only one bite -

My blood ran cold. I shuddered. Tears jumped to my eyes and it took every ounce of my will not to unleash them. Their poison coursed through my veins. It was slowly killing me. My breathing hiked. The thundering in my chest picked up.

“Lucinda?”

How could I respond? “We don’t have much time. We have to hurry.”

I didn’t know how we found them. I saw everything through a darkening screen. The only thing I tried to concentrate on, where Michael’s words, through a thick filter. I dragged my feet along. I didn’t have enough strength to lift myself up. Michael’s arm tightened around me. A wave of guilt washed over me. How could I look at him now? I was a monster.

Finally, Michael said, “Is this the place?”

I looked up. Everything was blurred but I could see a small hut in ruins. Just beside it was a large pit with metal rods, forming a net like pattern on the ground. The scent of fear was heavy in the air. Dark patterns covered the dead ground. Blood had been spilled. I could hear the faint gasps of breaths and the irregular beatings of their hearts. This place, beyond a doubt, was where the missing townsfolk were being kept.

“I can’t sense any vampires,” Michael said. His breath felt hot to my face. “Can you feel anything?”

“No.” It might have come out as a groan. I couldn’t tell.

“I’m going to free them,” he said. “I’ll leave you against this tree. Hold on. We’re almost done.”

I felt my back lean against something hard. It stabbed into my back but I was too tired to move. There was no strength left me in now. I felt so cold. My fingers were numb. Was I still holding my sword? My eyes wouldn’t stay open. All I could hear were Michael’s retreating steps but then those disappeared entirely and I couldn’t see, hear or feeling anything.