Last Salvation

I took a deep breathe to calm myself. Panicking wasn't going to help me. This was my last chance to let an outsider with authority know about the disappearances. It was intimidating having him so close to me. I couldn't even sit up. My palms started to sweat under the covers.

"Lately," I began. "Many children and men have disappeared in Kanya. I tracked down a familiar by coincidence. Her name was Kate. We fought and I won. She was the one luring the children and men away in both daylight and during the night. Father David didn't believe me and I was sent to the stockade."

I hesitated. The vampires themselves hadn't outright said they were behind the disappearances. They had only been involved with Kate and taking the unfortunate soul bound to the stockade.

"Before you appeared," I said. "One of the vampires knew Kate. She was his familiar. He even went as far as to say that the townsfolk provided him with bodies."

Michael straightened just as I opened my mouth again. My heart was pounding. He was the only one left who could believe me. Our eyes met and this time the predatory eyes were gone. They were replaced by liquid jewels. I swallowed.

"Father David is no fool," he said at last. "It doesn't seem like he has fallen from the path. However, he lacks experience when dealing with vampires."

It seemed like he was talking to himself than with me. I didn't mind at all. A huge weight had lifted from my shoulders. At least Michael didn't outright call me a liar. Had he believed me?

"So . . . you believe me?" I dared ask.

Michael gave a sharp nod. "I can't look away from the truth," he said. "I heard your conversation with the vampires and must accept that there's some truth to your words."

Some truth? I thought. Does he think I'm lying to him?

"So, you think I'm partially telling you the truth?" I asked.

I sat up, struggling to keep the covers from exposing my body. "I'm not lying," I said.

"Thank you for your cooperation, Miss Rosewater," he said, completely ignoring my last statement. "I'll have the Mayor drop all charges against you. All you have to do is recover and leave this investigation to the proper authorities."

Eh-? My mind was blank. Had I heard correctly?

"W-wait," I protested. "I want to help too. You can't just tell me to sit by and watch vampires do as they please."

"Miss Rosewater," Michael said, in an even and firm voice - almost like he was talking to a child. "You seem to have the wrong idea. I am a Knight of the Holy Order. I took an oath to bring peace to this land. I will not permit an injured lady such as yourself to run around this town waving a sword. That's what got you in trouble in the first place."

The only words that registered in my head were "waving a sword." I wasn't going to let him insult my father and his teachings.

"I do not wave a sword around as you put it," I said, sharply and beyond insulted. "My father taught how to use it and I refuse to listen to you offend him. He was killing vampires long before you were in your mother's womb."

His eyes turned into ice, cold steel. I lifted my chin. I wasn't going to let him intimidate me. Then the sudden anger vanished replaced by a calm exterior. He was a man of many faces, wasn't he? Besides, I had started this investigation and I was going to finish it. I didn't leave things half finished.

"My apologies," he said. "I didn't mean to insult your father. However, I can't ignore that you have been using a sword without any consent for others." Pause. "You belongings shall be returned to you later today when the Mayor drops the charges. If you're seen using your sword, you'll be charged with attempt of murder."