Two

Two

Early the next morning, as he had intended, Collin waited upon his grandfather with more than a touch of nervousness, and with ample reason. The Duke, not at his very best mood before noon, and the recent conversation he'd had with his heir somewhat added to his ill-humour, received his grandson with anything but cordiality. No sooner had Collin uttered a word or two of pleasantries than his grace embarked on a tirade about his behaviour which (he had it in best authority) was becoming more and more like that of his dissipated cousin (Denver) and left his poor mother prostate with distress (as he was told). Astonished by this exaggerated picture, Collin fiercely denied this falsehood and unwittingly made his grandfather lose his temper completely by answering, in impetuous tone, that Mama would definitely make a great deal of to-do, but she ain't such a pea-goose as to indulge in a fit of the vapours over it. He was abruptly put to silence by a very blistering reply, and struggled to answer other imperious enquiries, stammered his explanations out which too often interrupted whenever his grace had undergone a remarkably swift turn of mind, and pounced on his other peccadilloes.

Naturally, the young man emerged from the room looking very flushed, his chin jutted out in sulk, and with bruised pride. He encountered Denver in the hall and immediately confined to his cousin's sympathetic ear all the chastisement he'd been through. "Never even had the time to utter a word or two of explanation for he ran on and on!" he said bitterly. "Ten to one I have to thank my meddling Aunt Isabella for this, for I suspected that Mama had written to her. Prostrate with distress indeed! I'd say that's coming it a trifle too strong!" he looked at his cousin under puckering brows. "And I think it curst unhandsome of grandpapa to lay all the blame at your door when you do not have anything to do with my behaviour, Eve. Hang it, I am twenty-three now! I can kick up whatever larks I want, with or without your influence!"

"I am relieved to hear that," replied Evelyn drily. "I would hate to think that I am exerting such an abominable influence on you. Deplorable though my reputation may be, but in the very least I do not lead my young cousins astray: you may tell him — and in fact everybody else — that, and with my compliments."

A boyish smile dispelled the gloom on Collin's face. "Truth is, Eve, I'd as lief stick with you as with anybody else in our family. Mind, I am not saying that Ian ain't a dear chap — I mean, own brother, you know! But he's out in the Continent, and is rarely home, but he can sometimes be as stuffy as Hugo, for they were thick as thieves when we were young, and Julia is a mighty pain in the neck, and I don't want to have anything to do with her so she doesn't signify in the least. As for William," Collin's face darkened a shade, "Well, that's what I call a devilish bad company!"
"You'd be wise not to fall into the kind of company he keeps then," Denver suggested mildly. "Hugo, I am sure, is taking pains to put him back to the path of rectitude, but with little result."

"Lord, don't I know that!" struck Collin. "I'm sure I feel sorry for the fellow — William, I mean— sometimes, for having such a starchy brother. Ain't no fun at all when you've got a pair of eyes watching over you all the time."

"Believe me, I know very well how it feels. All the same, that's our cousin Hugo's affair, not ours."

"When do you leave?"

The Marquis shrugged offhandedly. "Maybe tomorrow, maybe the day after that. On a second thought, I might stay a little longer; after all, it wouldn't hurt to oblige the old man every now and then — yes, you might feel a bit incredulous, my dear Collin, but I do assure you it had nothing to do with what I ate this morning, as you would no doubt point out have I given you the chance."

"But Eve! Dash it, it's not like you at all!" he eyed his cousin suspiciously. "Now, I know there's something going on. What's your lay this time?"