Twenty-nine

On the heels of what had transpired, the Dresdenhams ended their sojourn in Brighton earlier than what was planned and returned quietly to London after sending Georgie to Stanfield Court. With her head still reeling from the recent events, one of the things Lady Lillian did upon returning home was to instruct her butler Owen that under no circumstances should they accept visitors for the next couple of days; the excuse for which was that her ladyship being indisposed, and had taken to her bed. With Julia and Collin having been sent away to their grandmother, and Georgie to Hastings in Ian's company (he was obliged to stay at his grandfather's behest), the house at Bruton Street was unusually quiet, and with a somewhat grateful sigh, her ladyship reflected that it was exactly the quietude she needed at the moment after suffering from a turbulent week.

But this respite proved to be short-lived. The Marquis of Denver, who was passing by in his curricle, suddenly took notice of the blinds of the Dresdenham's abode having been pulled, and a servant putting the knocker back on the front door. He urged his pair to a sharp halt that made Jamie, his tiger, lurch forward and let out a curse, turned his vehicle around and pulled in front of his relative's door. His instinct telling him that something must have gone wrong in Brighton that prompted his relatives' abrupt return to town, Denver went inside without the slightest ceremony. When a startled footman came across him in the hall, he said, "Pray, excuse me to have let myself in! I see that they have returned, yes? No need to announce me! Only tell me where I shall find her ladyship."

The footman, Jimmy, quite flummoxed by such precipitous entrance, received in his reluctant hands his lordship's hat, whip and gloves, and his greatcoat with many capes. Having been instructed by Mr Owen that they were not to receive callers today, his half-hearted expostulations fell on deaf ears as his lordship, very much at home, found its way to the staircase in a few long strides. "Where is she?" demanded the Marquis again, in a tone of one who was not accustomed to be detained by servants. Much cowered, Jimmy informed that my lady was in her private sitting room and ought not to be disturbed. "At least, that was what her ladyship instructed us, my lord!"

But my lord did not appear to hear it, for he was already on his way to Lady Lillian's room. He found her reclining on a sofa, and upon perceiving him, she sat right up, pardonably dismayed. "Evelyn!" she moaned. "And I have told them specifically not to let in any callers!"

"I take leave to inform you, ma'am, that I do not happen to be just any caller." He shut the door behind him and observed his relative. "Seclusion and smelling salts! Just as I thought!" he said in dry accents. "Something went awry at Brighton, my dear aunt?"

"I'm not in the mood for your roasting!" returned Lady Lillian crossly.

"No, I'm not roasting, I promise! But I mean to discover what was amiss, all the same!"

"You may do so without barging in unceremoniously!" returned her ladyship in a tart voice. "I've had enough shock these past few days without you engendering another one in me!"

His eyes glinted. "Georgie?"

She read that hard light understandably. "No," her ladyship said, reducing her voice to faint accents. "No, she was safely delivered to Stanfield. Ian is with her right now, and I daresay you would take a pet because of it, but it was your grandfather who insisted he should stay for at least day or two," she added defensively.

Denver frowned. "Take a pet? Good God, why would I?"

She eyed him resentfully. "I wish you had more awareness about you! The rest of us feel that you are—well, prickly where Georgie is concerned! To put it plainly, Evelyn, you always wanted her for yourself!"