Ten

On Christmas Day, Stanfield Court was bustling with festivities. The Dresdenhams and Langfords had come over to spend the holidays, not with so much inclination as with meek compliance to the Duke's specific wishes that they all should stay — at least until the Epiphany. For once they were all in accord, and since the Duke, who had received a very confident letter a month previously from his grandson about The Matter he had entrusted upon his hands, had been, if not at his best humour, at least in a very conciliating mood. The gentlemen passed the time hunting on the vast grounds of Stanfield, the Duke's love for the sport being legendary and had seemed to be inherited by his grandsons. Only his youngest son, Lord Geoffrey, no early riser, seemed to complain upon this rigorous activity.

It had started out very well; his grace having suffered no bout of illness for weeks on end. He was at his best when hunting; he'd scorned his dandy son for his lack of enthusiasm for it, even devoutly wishing — to his family's utter astonishment — that Denver had been there to hunt with him. However, as the festivities waned and no signs of Marquis' expected arrival, the Duke's good humour began to ebb away, and slowly replaced by gathering choler. "I know he will come," his grace declared to the family at dinner one night, "but I'll be damned if I'd tolerate his tardiness!"

An air of expectancy suddenly imbued the atmosphere as the household was set to hear a very important announcement soon. Everyone thought it pertained to His Grace's Will. But Hugo Langford, who had been in his grandfather's confidence enough to know that the announcement did not so much concern the Will as with very shocking news that would likely stun everyone, kept his promise to the Duke not to say a word, and only observed his younger cousins growing listless and bored with each passing day.

They were spending a quiet afternoon at Stanfield's library, since the weather had been too frigid to venture outdoors, and the snow not evincing any signs to desist. "I am not sure why cousin Denver has not come yet; but then, he doesn't often come down here for holidays, does he?" Miss Julia Dresdenham said, cupping her heart-shaped countenance on both hands, her bright green eyes looking contemplative over the chessboard before her.

Sitting across was her cousin Charles, the youngest of Langfords, a pretty youth of slight build and a somewhat effeminate face, but with a rather willful chin. Unlike his brothers, who were both dark-headed, he inherited the fair Dresdenham colouring. He took his cousin's unguarded rook and smiled triumphantly. "Check!" he said, waving the piece in front of her.

"How?" demanded Miss Julia roundly.

"You are not attending, that's why!" Charles said with a shrug.

"Oh vey well! I own I was spacing out for a bit," sighed Julia, nipping a biscuit from the tray next to the chessboard. "You must admit it gets really tedious around here, and Grandpapa has not been in a very good mood lately. Do you really think Denver will come, Hugo?"

Hugo, who was sitting on an armchair next to the fire, looked up from the book he was reading. He said: "I am entirely clueless as to what cousin Denver intends to do, Ju. All I know is that he promised Grandpapa he would come. I daresay something has put off his journey, or some such thing. All the same, we shall all await him: that's what Grandpapa wishes."

"I hope he does show up, for it would never do to make Grandpapa cross again," said Julia with a remarkable sense of wisdom.

Charles walked to the window and exclaimed: "The snow has stopped! Shall we go for an adventure, Ju?"

Julia looked at him dubiously. "What kind of adventure do you have in mind?"

"We can go out after dark," explained the enterprising youth, his blue eyes lit up. "I daresay we could catch a smuggler or two on our way. Don't you think it prodigious exciting? What do you say?"