Chapter 9: Secrets Revealed

We had just finished eating lunch for the second time when Coralline tapped me on the shoulder.

"We need to talk." Was what she said.

"Okay, let me get Aaron and we'll –," I wasn't able to finish before she cut me off.

"No one else. This is something that must stay between you and me." She indicated for me to follow her with a wave of her hand. When I hesitated she let out an impatient sigh, "I can't explain right now with everyone around. Just trust me when I tell you they can't hear this or it could put the entire pack at risk."

That decided me. I stood up and excused myself from the table. When Aaron got up to follow I turned him down with a quick word on the side. "It's girl talk. You wouldn't be interested."

Understanding flashed in his gaze, and he turned back to the table without another word. I turned and followed Coralline out of the room and into the lounge, hoping that I wasn't going to regret leaving Aaron back in the dining room.

Coralline paused once we were out of earshot of the others, and she took a moment to glance up and down the hall before closing the door. Once she slid the lock and security bolt home, she moved back to the center of the room and pointed at one of the recliners.

"Sit." It wasn't a suggestion, but an order.

I hesitated before moving over and taking a seat in the leather chair, watching as Coralline did the same.

"What I am about to tell you must never leave this room." Her eyes had taken on a hard light and I felt myself hanging on her every word. "As I said before, if this information got to the others, it could threaten the safety of the entire pack."

I nodded dumbly, not really following where this conversation was going. Coralline held my gaze for a moment before her entire body relaxed, "Sorry for scaring you like that. I just had to be sure you understood what kind of situation we're in." She smiled softly as she placed a hand on my own, "It wasn't my intention to spook you."

I scoffed, "Well you certainly did a terrible job at that." I pulled my hand out of her grip as I locked gazes with her, "So what is this about? What is it you need to tell me?"

She pulled back her hand and clasped her fingers in front of her chest, "Well, there's one thing I need to ask first. After that I'll see what I can tell you. You remember how the Prince's power had all of us on the ground?"

I nodded, "Yeah, the pressure of his power was like a ton of bricks. What's your point?"

"Do you also remember me telling you that nobles were like our kind's version of Alphas?"

I nodded again, "Again, so what? What does that have to do with anything?"

She shook her head slowly from side to side, "You still don't see it." She lifted her gaze to stare at me through her lashes, "The only ones who can stand up to a were-dragon noble is one of equal or greater power. Given that the man you faced was a prince, what does that tell us about you?"

"That I've got the power of a were-dragon noble?" I asked.

She shook her head, "Royals are a step above nobles, making them even more powerful compared to any normal were-dragon. The only way for you to stand your ground, and even defeat a were-dragon royal, would mean you have the same level of power flowing through your own veins."

I laughed, "So what, I'm some kind of princess?" I rolled my eyes at her, "You've got to be kidding. There's no way I'm some kind of royal half-breed."

When her gaze didn't falter, my smile slowly turned into a frown, "Wait, am I some kind of royal half-breed?"

She didn't answer right away, but when she did, it wasn't the answer I was expecting, "Who has the right to sell a bride to a prince?"