Sentinel - Skye & Tayne

**EXTRAS AND STUFF NOT LEGIT STORY OR WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT**

Slight disclaimer before reading: Not actually a part of what I have planned but dear deities I wanted to write it so I did ^-^ Happens some time after the events of the first book.

WARNING: POTENTIAL MUSHY-NESS

Dedicated to Hayley (H4Y13Y), aka Lucid. I'm sorry, the penguins took over. <3

*+*+*+* 

Sentinel - Skye & Tayne

*+*+*+*

Skye slipped through the doorway, closing it behind her with a soft click.

She pressed her forehead to the wood of the door, trying to calm her heart with a breath. This... this was her fault. If anything happened to him because of her, she didn't know what she'd do.

It already has happened.

Blankets whispered as they moved on the bed behind her but she remained still. Doubt raced through her. Should she be here? Would leaving now be easier? Her hand was on the cool metal of the handle when she heard the voice that had her heart racing all over again. 

"Skye?"

She glanced over her shoulder to see Tayne pushing himself up on the bed. In the low candlelight, it was hard to make out any amount of detail, but even harder still was to miss the bloodstained bandages that hugged his otherwise bare chest.

Her eyes locked on them. It was her fault they were there.

Tayne seemed to take her silence as confirmation of her presence. He swung his legs over the side of the bed and stood with a grunt of effort, walking towards her.

"Skye?" he asked again. "What are you doing here?"

It took her a moment to find her voice. "I... I had to see if you were okay," she said. "After they took you to the infirmary I just...I didn't know what to do. I thought--"

Skye took a shuddering breath and turned back to the door, trying to quell the rising panic. Images of the Hunter's talons flashed through her mind, Tayne's cry as he fell, the blood, her frantic calls to the deity, to anyone, to save him.  Her own useless attempts to call on her magic that was no longer there and the cold dread that sank through her when Tayne's eyes wouldn't open.

I shouldn't be here.

She pushed down on the handle to leave, but a hand on her shoulder stopped her. It was warm, and she could feel it despite the usual lack of feeling that plagued her shoulder. Her eyes fell on Tayne's paled skin, contrasted against her own burned, disfigured flesh.

Tayne's fingers tightened on her shoulder. "It wasn't your fault, Skye." He reached around, taking her wrist and gently pulling her around to face him. "It's one of the risks we take every time we fight the corruption."

Skye couldn't take her eyes from the bandages, the white material stained with Tayne's blood. "Why?" she whispered. "You're so calm, so willing to put yourself in danger. Why?"

"You asked for my help," he said simply.

"But what if next time you're not so lucky? What if next time they get you, and there's no one around to save you? What if--"

"We'll cross that bridge when we get to it."

Skye closed her eyes, ignoring the damp around them. "I can't lose you because you're too stupid to realise when something is too much for you to handle," she said. "Tayne, if I lost you... I don't know what I'd do. I can't lose you like that. Radiance wouldn't survive. I wouldn't survive, and the corruption...the corruption would just..."