Indigo - A page of Athira's diary

---

A page of Athira's diary

---

I like the dark.

The dark has always been my friend, the thing that I know is going to be there no matter what happens during the day. It's more reliable than the light, because that depends on the existance of something. But the dark? The dark is the dark. It doesn't need anything else to be itself. It just is, and always will be. 

But lately, I'm starting to question that. Why is it that the dark can exist without needing anything else? Why does the light require a source, but the dark doesn't? Does that make the dark empty, alone? I don't have a problem with 'alone'. Alone is a concept, a frame of mind screaming that it needs people until the hole gets filled, but leave the hole there long enough... and it fills itself. I used to accept that. I used to /want/ that. If the hole was filled, I wouldn't be tempted. 

Finding Zoe though, realising she wasn't dead, that cleared the nothing filling the hole. Shift further dug it out, and I'm no longer sure I can go back to the dark. I've had a taste of the light, and the dark is no longer enough. Not just because I crave it, but because somewhere, I feel like I need to protect it. Compared to the dark, the light is so fragile. So reliant upon other things, things that can come crashing down at any moment. 

I don't know if I can go back to the dark. But that means living in the light... and I'm scared that my dark will eventually consume the fragile, fragile light. 

I can only hope that the light is strong enough to hold back the darkness that I've let fester in me all these years.