Indigo - Shift the Turtle

A/N -- You all know where this is going. 

---

Shift the turtle 

---

One day, while Indigo is out fighting crime on Sirah's streets, Shift finds himself faced with a mighty opponent...

Shift flexed his fingers experimentally, feeling the flecks of green colour writhe in anticipation just below his skin. 

"Don't worry about this guy," he called back to Raph and the rest of Indigo. "I've got him covered."

The large, burly man facing him had the audacity to laugh. "A little thing like you?" he said, shaking his head. "You cannot possibly hope to stand against the might that is my shifter. None are mightier than the animal whose hallowed shape I am graced with the ability to take on."

Shift couldn't help the delight rising in him. A shifter? He hadn't fought a shifter in forever. The feel of your skin melting, transforming as it hardened in certain areas and disappeared all together in others, it was the one thing that he, a colour who could borrow any ability in existence, was truly envious of simply because he couldn't do it more. 

The man continued. "He is untouchable, a pillar of strength among the lesser species. Nothing pierces his hardened hide as he brings down his foes with a considered blow!"

Shift's mind ran wild with possibilities. A burly man like this, surely... Shift licked his lips. A bear. Or perhaps he'd surprise him and melt into the feathers of a hawk, but he doubted it. A man of his stature was too solid, too attached to the ground to take flight. Agility didn't suit him, so cats were off the list. 

Bear, thought Shift. Definitely bear

"Don't suppose you wanna make things interesting," said Shift, eager to be on with it. "You know what my colour does, so how about a little one-on-one, claw to claw style?"

"Bah, my shifter has no need for claws," said the man. "But I accept your challenge, although you cannot hope to match my prowess, my oneness with the magnificent animal!" 

No claws? thought Shift. He grinned. Then I've got no idea. Sweet.

Shift stepped forward and held out his hand. "Shall we?" 

Nearby, the woman trying to fend off Raph's flurry of attacks found a lull to call out, "Bernard, don't you dare--" 

The man's head snapped back over his shoulder. "Quiet, Marlene!" He turned around to face Shift once more and took his hand. "The honour of the great beast demands I accept the challenge!"

"We don't have enough daylight for your antics today!" replied Marlene. "Just knock him out and get on with it!" She grunted as Raph's blade crashed down on hers, knocking the words from her lips. 

The burly man's green colour raced through Shift's system, infecting him with its vitality, its need to be released and morph his skin into its desired shape. Shift stepped back, barely able to contain the writhing colour within him.

He took a shaky breath, the grin never leaving his face. "Ready?" he asked the man.

"I am always ready for the great beast's command!" he roared. "Colour, take my form! Release me from these mortal bonds so I may ascend to the greatness matched by none but the great beast!"

Oh man, this is going to be good. Shift had never heard someone speak so reverently of their colour before and found himself wondering if this colour, this magnificent green colour was one of the rare mythic shifts. There were rumours, rumours of long-lost creatures that a few green colours could resurrect by allowing their colour, the essence of these mythic beasts, to infuse their bodies. Was it possible that this man that seemed about as bright as the concrete beneath their feet, was one of the mythic shifters?