Of Breaking and Entering

Edited by 

I always thought of myself to be a good girl. Not in anyone's way, not affecting anyone's life. Me and my stupid boring life.

But this all changed when a certain Vikram Joshi came into my life.

I was practically blackmailing a teenager and I was going to break in into someone's room.

Unknowingly he changed the fundamentals of my life.

Unintentionally he made people who treated me just fine, to roam around like butterflies on flowers.

I would have been thankful to him if he wasn't so rude, arrogant and had an attitude the size of Himalayas.

"He wants to meet us." I said looking at Deepti.

She shook her head,"He wants to meet you silly!"

She wiggled her eyebrows and I gave a cold stare that didn't have any effect on her.

Now what?

"Now we are going to break into Ajji's room" She said after I apparently voiced my thoughts aloud.

***********

I didn't feel good going into Ajji's room, as was the case, never a happy moment for me there. I was always shouted at or insulted in that room. Even as a kid, that didn't stop her.

The old bat's room was smelly as it was empty for 3 days.

It smelled of tobacco which she chewed on all day long.

"Quick Lila, come here let's get this combination." She said standing in front of a big grey safety locker. She tapped on the screen the numbers, which Bobby gave us on a piece of paper.

With a small ding, the door to the safe opened and inside were all the things that you expect in a safe.

There were wads of money, lots of them, jewellery and papers.

"We are going to be here for a long time if we want to search for a contract in all this mess" she said baffled by all the papers .

But a piece of paper caught my eye, no it wasn't a paper, it was a photograph. I looked at that photograph, it was a smiling photo of a man, he was a very handsome, I could tell.

Realisation dawned upon me.

It was my father!

My father's photo in Ajji's safe!

Didn't she say that she hated him?

Now I know, there's nothing in this world that a child can do to make his mother hate him.

"Is that your..." Deepti asked.

"Yes, he is my father" I confirmed. "Deepti, I need some air. Can I please step outside?"

She nodded and went back to searching for the document.

I stepped outside the house through the balcony of ajji's room. Her room was on ground floor while mine was on first floor.

The cold breeze hit me and I held my arms close around me.

I thought what my life would have been if my parents were still alive.

I think about this all the time.

Every time I have a momentary satisfaction followed by sadness.

Suddenly my cellphone rang, it was Deepti.

"Hello.."

She cut me off, "Ajji's back. Don't come back into her room. I got the contract papers and stay away from her as much as possible."

With that she hung up.

My heart skipped a beat. I am standing in front of Ajji's balcony, I see a light switched on in her room and someone headed in my direction!

I run in the opposite direction, look back. Uh oh! Nowhere to run, I hide behind a tree.

Shit! They will now let Tiger and Buzo, our family dogs out to guard.

I started walking backwards slowly, stumbled on a bush and fell down.

I lie there for a few seconds, until they find me, ready with an excuse as my only weapon.

Then I heard a sharp voice.

"I think you misinterpreted my message."

I gulped fear down my throat.

A tall dark figure emerged from the shadows.

"I wanted to meet you at 1 in the afternoon, not night!"

There he was standing there with all his mighty handsomeness.

Vikram Joshi.

He was still wearing a suit, doesn't he own anything else?

"Shhh, I know that, I am hiding. So will you please shut up!" I said looking back at my house to see whether anyone was onto me.

When I turned back, he was looking at me with heated gaze which made me feel a bit scared.

"Ms. Lila don't tell me what to do on my property!" he said.

"I wouldn't if you just stay quiet for sometime." I said as a matter of fact. I was intimidated by him but I didn't want my speech to give it away.

I felt my cellphone vibrate.

It was a text from Deepti.

'Don't come back. Dad has locked the doors. There is no way in. Believe me I checked. By the way, why don't you go next door to that hunk who has got you all hot and bothered? ;p'

Fear rose to the surface.

Then i felt my cell vibrate once more.

It was another text from her.

'By the way you have to talk to him anyway, the contract says you can sell your part of business only when you are married for not less than one year. Good luck! Be Safe! Tell him to Wear a Con'

Thank God her 140 characters were over.

I looked over to Vikram who was watching changes in my expression curiously.

What am I going to tell this man who makes me lose control over myself?

Hellooo people, I promise Lila-Vikram moments in every chap from now on!

Stay tuned. Vote and comment.