three.

Jasper's thoughts swirled through his head like a hurricane. His eyes watched the pouring rain tap against the glass windows, deep in thought. He knew Edward could read his dilemma, and he also knew that his family was worried about him; he could feel their stares burning into his back. His eyes were a darker shade of topaz as he thought about the girl in his English class; Astrid Steele.

She was irresistible and it took every fiber in Jasper's being not to get on top of her and suck her dry in that classroom. Her blood was something Jasper had never smelt before, it was as if he was a newborn again; his mind screaming at him to track her down and kill her. But, Jasper couldn't do that; he knew that he couldn't do that.

Astrid Steele was beautiful, even as a human; her stunning green eyes made Jasper feel drawn to her, and it was something Jasper couldn't explain - the attraction. The feeling's were foreign to Jasper, he had never felt like this before; even when he was human. She was dangerous for him to be around her, and he was dangerous for her. And Jasper knew what he had to do.
He had to leave. At least for a short time.

Jasper looked up as he felt hand placed upon his shoulder, "Don't do it." Alice said in her light voice, her eyes filled with worry for her brother and close friend. Jasper's jaw tensed as he looked at Alice, "I have to Alice." he murmured, his voice filled with reason as he tried to convince her and himself that his decision was right. Alice shook her head softly, "No. You don't, Jasper. You're strong and I know that it's going to be okay. You're not going to hurt, and, Astrid Steele, she's a lot stronger than you think she is..." Alice murmured, her topaz eyes looking away from his.

Jasper held in a breath, he knew what she was talking about, "You had a vision?" The small, pixie like girl nodded as her eyes glanced around the room as the other vampires of their coven filed in, each curious on what Alice's vision was.

Astrid poured herself a glass of water, her eyes never leaving the TV screen of the drama show she was watching. The show was getting intense and she would kill to know what was going to happen next. Sighing as the show left off with a cliffhanger, she heard her mother's shoes squeaking on the hardwood floors, her maroon scrubs contrasting with her blonde hair. Astrid smiled after she took a gulp of her water, "Look at you. You ready for your first day?" Astrid smirked at her mother as she rounded the island in the middle of the kitchen. Her mom let out a sigh, the small strands of hair slipping out of her ponytail blowing upwards. Astrid gave her mum a hug, squeezing her tightly, "Good luck, see you in about 48 hours." Her mother laughed at her words, "See you in 48 hours." She murmured, "Now, there's money in my room in case you need anything." Astrid nodded before walking her mother to the door, "Don't be late, you don't want to make a bad impression."

Her mother grinned and rolled her eyes before placing a red lipped stained kiss on her daughter's cheek, "Love you."

"Love you more, mum." Her mother smiled once more before running to her car, raindrops splattering on her scrubs.

Astrid slowly closed the wood door and locked it, a sigh leaving her mouth before she made her way to the couch. The thing about having mother as a surgeon was hardly ever seeing her. She was gone for hours at a time, general surgeries seeming to take up most of her work day. The longest she had ever left Astrid alone was 74 hours. And it was hard not being able to see her mother like most normal kids did, and it was especially harder to know that her dad wasn't around with her anymore either.

Letting out, once again, another sigh, Astrid slowly cuddled into the beige couch, a pink blanket draped over her body as she watched some movie one of the local channels was playing. The house was eerie with her mom gone, every little snap of twig outside or the old floors settling seem to push her more off edge, even if she knew it was her mind playing games with her.

But, Astrid couldn't help but shake the feeling that she wasn't alone.