thirteen.

HEYHEYHYEHEY 8tracks finally started working right!! so this playlist is up and runnin go listen to it: http://8tracks.com/taiaheidson/wonder (i honestly dont think links works on here, but just go look ur homegirl up on 8tracks.)

The drive to Seattle from Forks was long, 3 hours to be exact. The muscles in her back were sore from not moving around much after several hours, though the ride was serene and peaceful, and she spent most of the time loudly singing along to indie songs.

The downpour of rain had surrounded Astrid's car as she had parked her car at the hospital that read 'UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON MEDICAL CENTER' in large, fluorescent letters across the building. She quickly hopped out of her car and ran inside the cold building, the rain being like cold bullets hitting her skin. The smell of the disinfectants made her nose crinkle in disgust as she walked towards the waiting area where a desk sat.

She stepped to the desk where a nurse sat, letting a family with sobbing faces pass by her before approaching the nurse. She was young, with flaming red hair pulled back into a braid and round framed glasses perched atop her freckled nose, "Hi, how can I help you?" She grinned, her fingers still tapping against the keyboard of her desktop as her eyes landed on Astrid's face.

"Uh, yeah, is Dr. Kate Steele here?"

The nurse bit her lip as she spun around in her rolling chair, her eyes looking over a white board before turning back towards Astrid, "She has surgery in an hour. Can I ask for your name?" Astrid nodded, "Yeah, I'm Astrid Steele. Her daughter." She smiled as the nurse's eyes widened behind her thick rimmed glasses, "One moment."

Astrid waited behind the desk patiently, her eyes glancing towards the waiting area where families sat with nervous exteriors. The nurse had quickly approached back to her, her fingers fiddling with the hem of her light pink scrubs. "Dr. Steele says she can see you. She's on the third floor, when you get there ask one of the nurses where she is."

Astrid grinned as she thanked the nurse, her feet carrying her to the metallic elevator.

"Astrid! What are you doing here?" Kate Steele exclaimed as her eyes laid upon her daughter's body that approached her, "You need to be in school!"

Astrid rolled her eyes, "I don't care for that right now, mum. We need to talk."

Astrid's mother threw her hands up in exasperation, "Well, I care! I'm 45 mintues away from the second-half of my pro bono - I don't have time to talk."

Astrid narrowed her eyes as her mother turned to walk away, though she quickly grabbed her forearm. "I'm being serious, Astrid!" Kate spun around, her eyes taking in Astrid's expression, "Mum, we need to talk." Astrid added an enunciation to each word she spoke, her mother finally realizing that the thing her daughter wanted to talk about was the thing Kate was worried she would figure out.

Kate let out a defeated sigh, "Come with me."

She had led her daughter to an On Call Room - and despite what TV showed what most doctors used the rooms for, real life doctors used the room for what it was meant for - sleep.

"Okay, Astrid, talk. I don't have much time."

Astrid took in a large breath of air. This was it - now or never. "Mum, I need you tell me about our family."

Kate looked around the room, just to double check that no other doctors were in the room. "You know, don't you?"

Astrid huffed as she crossed her arms, putting all of her weight on one leg as she leaned on it. "I don't know anything! That's why I came here." Kate rolled her eyes as she sat on one of the beds, the crimson sheets wrinkling under her weight. She bit her lip in thought, where to start?

"It all started with your one of your many great grandmothers, Agnes Bunker Webb. She was born in 1624, and she was born with vast amounts of powers that didn't start to show themselves until she was 15. She had tried to hide it, but, the powers always seemed to shine through whenever her emotions got over the top. Wether she be angry, sad, happy, or more. And people started to notice, accusing her of things that could get you killed back in that time. That was when she made that ring," Her mother paused, her finger pointing to the silver, poison ring upon her fingers. "She made it almost intending for it to hold some type of glamour, something to hide her powers when she was among the residents of her small town. And that ring, it's been passed down on my side of the family to each woman born who held the magic inside of them, just like your grandmother Agnes had."

Astrid felt her fingers shaking at the words her mother spoke, the words seeming to add a heaviness in the air. Her eyes looked up to meet with her mothers, "Why was the ring never passed down to you?"

Her mother sighed as she ran her fingers through her hair, "It seemed to skip over me. And as soon as you were born, your grandmother went on to explain how your magic was mine and yours combined. You're just as powerful as Agnes, Astrid."

Astrid's fingers twisted the ring that held so much history, "So what does this make me, mum?"

"You're a witch, Astrid."

eeeepppp i was so excited to write this chapter. its honestly not as good as i was hoping for it to be, but i hope you all enjoyed!