(18)

"What deal did they make?" I couldn't believe I was seconds away from finally discovering the truth about that night, but of course, the end of lunch bell went and Harry stood up abruptly.

"I'm sorry, Poppy, I can't be late to this next class. We'll talk later, ok?" He said hurriedly and just like that, he was gone.

I didn't think I'd ever felt as frustrated as I felt at that moment but I still managed to drag my sorry ass to class.

We played soccer during PE which helped me forget about everything for a short while but Owen's miserable expression kept reminding me of what Harry had hinted at.

Talking about the brown-haired boy, I now knew he hadn't lied about taking the same classes as me because I'd spotted him straight away when he'd walked up and sat down on the floor with the rest of the class before our teacher introduced what we'd be doing during today double.

I wondered why he'd been so worried about being on time for PE and decided to ask him but as soon as he saw me approaching him, he looked away, sending me a very clear message.

I do not want people to see us talk together.

I rolled my eyes, disgusted by his cowardice and decided to just focus on forgetting how complicated things had got.

After PE, I headed to the study hall and I met Keira who was coming out of the restrooms.

"Aww... You don't look so good..." She commented with a grimace. "That kind of day, hey?"

I chuckled.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you..." I answered faking a high-pitch voice. For some reason Keira's presence had instantly made me feel better.

"Try me." She challenged me with a cocked eyebrow.

"Girls! Get a move on, the bell's about to go!" Mr. Vincent's voice interrupted us and without looking, I knew he was addressing us.

"Don't forget to bring your cleats tomorrow for the try-outs after school..." She murmured with a genuine smile on her face and a hopeful expression, her ponytail swinging behind her head as she walked next to me.

"I haven't played for two years..." I pointed out.

"It's like riding a bike, Poppy. You never forget..." She interjected and I was once again baffled by how nice she was with me.

"Why are you so nice?" I heard myself blurt out, regretting my lapse of judgement immediately.

"Because I like you." She stated as if it was the most obvious thing in the world and just as I was about to ask her what she meant exactly by that, she disappeared in a classroom.

I sighed at yet another answerless question and resumed walking to the study hall where I'd probably spend an excruciating hour trying to get some homework done with Owen's mopping face right next to me.

Well, I was wrong since when I got there just as the bell went, our usual table at the back was empty.

At least I'll be able to do my homework, I thought as I discreetly put my earbuds in and started working on a History worksheet that was due the following day.

Once I was done with it, I continued editing an English essay on a Tramway Named Desire that wasn't due till next week but that I had almost finished anyway and I was rereading it a final time when the final bell went.

I put all my books away and stood up, more than ready to leave that place when I felt somebody's presence next to me. It was Rosco.

"Is everything ok?" I asked him with a frown.