(23)

After the coin toss, which we won, both teams took position on the field. Tyler had chosen to attack first.

As soon as the referee blew his whistle, signaling the beginning of the game, the two first lines of each team started fighting.

Red flags were thrown but ignored, helmets and even cleats flew in the air as they all punched and kicked each other without even looking at who was in front of them. Around us, the atmosphere was getting more and more strained by the second as parents and friends were getting into heated arguments with their neighbors.

I frowned when I saw Ollie on the side of the melee, scratching his head nervously.

"Why does it look like they don't want to fight with Ollie?" Nate muttered next to me. That was when I realized what was happening. Tyler was avenging me and I bet that as soon as our defense team would come up on the field, they'd start a fight with their attack team.

I motioned to stand up but Landon put his hand on my knee, effectively stopping me.

"Let me go!" I yell-whispered, unwilling to make a scene.

"It's over, look." He said but my mind was up. I hadn't come to witness violence. Worse, by asking me to wear his hoodie, Tyler had associated me to his gesture and I was furious at him.

The referee gave a penalty to Brading so our offence team left the field and was replaced by our defense.

Luckily for him, Tyler didn't turn to look at me while he walked to the dugouts. The right side of his face looked red and swollen and I surprised myself thinking that he'd deserved it. He'd done exactly what I'd dreaded he would.

I knew that he'd just done what was expected of him not only by his teammates but by all the Rochester Private students, but I still didn't agree with it and I was mad at him for asking me to come. Wearing that stupid hoodie, on top of that!

I groaned.

The referee blew his whistle and Brading's QB never even had the chance to catch the ball since a new fight started on the field.

Some people a few ranks above us started raising their voices. I looked up and saw a man throw a punch at another one.

"That's it!" I snapped, exasperated, now. I stood up and removed the hoodie. "Boys, take your stuff, we're going!"

"No! Please, Poppy!" They both cried out at the same time.

Too worked up to argue, I turned to Landon.

"Can you please make sure they both stay safe?"

"Poppy, just wait it out..." He said after nodding.

I ignored him and stomped down the bleachers and got to the grid that was protecting the players and officials from the spectators.

One of the coaches was kicking a bottle angrily right in front of me.

"Coach, do you think you could get Tyler Van Houten's ass to come to talk to me, please?" My anger was hard to miss and when he frowned, I showed him the hoodie and recognition seemed to flash in his eyes.

"Girl, I'll be forever grateful if you get your boy to stop this disaster..."He exclaimed, clearly overcome by his player's behavior. "Van Houten!" He hollered and Tyler turned around. When he saw me, he frowned but when he realized that I was no longer wearing his hoodie his anger was replaced by fear and he no longer looked so sure of him all of a sudden.

"What's up?"

"Here." I handed him his hoodie.

"What are you doing?" His voice was still composed but his eyes betrayed his growing panic.