(27)

"We never got to play twenty questions..." I pointed out two weeks later after we'd dropped Leo and Nathan at the bowling alleys where their football team would celebrate yet another victory. We were headed to the Chinese where we'd meet Landon, Owen, Rosco and Keira.

"That's right..." He said with a smirk, probably remembering what happened the last time I'd suggested we play.

"I'm only talking about the normal version, by the way..." I added and laughed when he sent me a puppy look.

"I'll start then..." He said very seriously a few seconds later. "What's your favorite place in the world?"

I had to laugh at that considering that I'd never even left the State. But he didn't know that so I didn't say a word and started thinking about an answer to give him.

Only I was kind of embarrassed by the first thought that popped into my mind.

Wherever you are...

I sighed.

"What's wrong?" His concerned voice brought me back to the present.

I grimaced.

"Nothing... It's just the only answer that came to my mind is incredibly cheesy and I'm a bit embarrassed..."

I lifted my head to see his reaction and frowned when I realized that all his attention was on me, instead of on the road. I started to panic but realized we were no longer moving. A glance through the window finished to reassure me.

He must have been really worried by my silence because he'd parked the car to the side of the road.

"You know you can tell me anything, right?" He said softly. I instantly felt bad about worrying him about something so ridiculous.

I took a deep breath and averted my eyes from him before mumbling, "Wherever you are..."

"Look at me, Poppy..." He instructed seriously so I did. "Not so long ago you told me that Nathan was your only priority..." He started.

"He still is..." I cut in and lowered my gaze again before pursuing. "B-but I just can't imagine my life without you in it..."

"F*ck, Poppy!" He groaned. "Do you have any idea of what you're doing to me?!" His words didn't fit with his gentle tone so his statement left me totally confused. "Look at me, Baby..." My heart skipped a beat at his nickname but I did what he asked anyway. "I was a goner the minute you walked into my life... When you slapped that bitch after she'd taken the piss at Leo, I had to stop myself from proposing on the spot..."

Was I even still breathing? I had the impression to be floating in some alternate universe. Things like that didn't happen in really life, did they?

"Poppy, my little Firecracker..." He was smiling now. "I..." He was interrupted by the ringing of his phone. He rolled his eyes and answered. "Yeah?" I recognized Landon's voice on the other end. We were late and they were wondering where we were. "We're almost there." He replied shortly and hung up.

His cheeks were a nice shade of pink when he started the car again but I knew mine were probably even redder so kept quiet.

I was kind of relieved he'd been interrupted because I was still petrified by the extent of my feelings for him and I wasn't ready to address them but his almost-declaration had filled me with so much hope that I was almost bursting with it.

When I'd finally recovered and the silence got too much, I decided to lighten up the mood a bit.

"What's your favorite memory?" I asked.