Part Four - The End Is Near

Part Four: The End Is Near

All three of us stepped out tentatively, expecting to be greeted by our new worst fear. Us girls let out sighs of relief when we saw no one.

“Good, I think we’re safe for now,” Sarah said, forgetting to whisper.

We immediately heard footsteps coming our way. Her voice must have been recognized, because they were much more aggressive than the steps that had calmly followed Mark and I earlier. Sarah realized her mistake right away and gave a wordless apology with her eyes. We were sprinting again, hoping that we could get away without already sacrificing our quickly made plan. Once again, I couldn’t stop myself from looking back to see how far ahead we were. I saw the enemy sprinting at an incredible pace behind us. He was gaining on us, and I prayed that we could have a miracle.

“Sarah! Sarah! Get back here, Sarah!” I hadn’t heard this man’s voice before, but it took me by surprise. Such a frightening person should have had a monstrous voice. His normal sounding voice didn’t seem to fit him at all, and I suddenly had a little hope that we could take him after all.

Even so, I kept running, but when the man kept yelling and getting closer, Mark stopped dead in his tracks and did a 180 to face him. Realizing what was happening, Sarah and I slowed to a stop and turned to watch.

“Hey, what’s your problem man? What the hell do you want with her?” Mark asked in a rather authoritative tone.

“Why don’t you stay out of it? It’s none of your business, the last time I checked,” the man answered, not ready to take any crap from anyone.

“Actually, buddy, I’m pretty sure it is my business. She’s my cousin, okay, and I wasn’t very happy to hear that some crazy, older man has been after her the past few months. She’s an innocent young woman that doesn’t deserve to have her high school years ruined by some maniac. I don’t know what your problem is, but I’d suggest that you stay the hell away from her from now on.” Mark’s voice boomed throughout the hallway, echoing off the walls. I had never heard him like this before. It made me wonder why his voice acting career hadn’t really taken off yet. But sadly, I didn’t have much more time to enjoy Mark’s glorious act. It all went downhill fast.

“I don’t care that you’re her cousin, and I don’t care to hear who this other girl is. As long as you want to keep living, I will have Sarah.” The man’s voice altered to a sound that seemed more expected of a psycho killer, which he proved to be. In the middle of saying this, he grabbed what looked to be much larger and sharper than the average pocket knife out of one of his enlarged pockets. I didn’t care to know or even wonder what could have possibly been in the other ones. It was no longer an act. It was real, and Mark suddenly didn’t seem to fit his tough guy character.

“I-I don’t think you understand. I can’t let you near Sarah, I can’t let you hurt her. Please just listen to me, we can settle this without any weapons…”

“Oh, so with what then? Our fists? You want to fight me?”

“Yes, I do, actually.” The man laughed. But Mark wasn’t amused. He regained his composure and he got back into his character.

“I said, yes, I do. Put the knife down, and let’s go.”

Sarah was almost in tears now. She was terrified, and rightly so. She was only protected by me, a weak 21 year old just a few years older than her and a man who no longer stood a chance because muscle was nothing against a knife if there weren’t any dodging skills. I couldn’t even begin to understand what emotions I was experiencing.

Mark went right for the guy and dodged the knife, almost gracefully. It seemed as if Mark really was going to try fighting him, but all he could really do was play keep away with the dangerously sharp blade. I stood still as a stone, nervously watching, not knowing at all what to do. After about a minute of the dodging nonsense, my brain started to work again, and so did my body.