Chapter 8

I twirled around in front of the mirror on my closet door, admiring my reflection. It wasn’t much, but it was enough to make Sebastian whistle at me in approval. Even if it was just a dress from last year’s spring dance, you would be surprised what you could do if you had a soon-to-be fashion designer as a cousin. I had called Lauren as soon as I got home. And she almost too enthusiastically agreed. She very graciously came over and fixed my dress, while Sebastian hid in the closet. It’s more like she gave me a whole new dress. With her work on it, I couldn’t make a connection of this dress, and the dress I wore last year.

It used to be gray, but now it was charcoal black. It used to have sequins, but now it had small sexy ruffles that were long and swished around my legs when I walked. Like the dresses tango dancers wear. I had always wanted one of those. I don’t know what Lauren did to it, but I would be irresistible at this party.  I continued to flaunt in front of the mirror some more. Sebastian came to stand beside me.

“Okay, if you’re done worshipping your reflection, other people have to get ready too, you know,” he said, shoving me onto the bed. The more time I spent with him, the more I realized that he was acting more and more childish every day; like Peter Pan, the boy who would never grow up.

“Ughh! You almost made me mess up my hair you idiot!” I shrieked. I had spent almost half my pampering time on fixing my hair. My dark chocolate waves hung down in long sexy curls that flowed around my face.

“Oh my God, honey. Just, like, let it out,” Sebastian said in his imitation of a diva. In my opinion, he sounded gay. At that, I had to crack a smile.

“Okay, fine. You have my attention,” I said, getting up. He rolled his eyes.

“Look at me! I can’t go to a party looking like this!” he exclaimed, as if this really mattered to him. I studied him. His hair was a mess; his clothes were dirty and faded from usage, and he still had my home-made bandage on his head. Maybe it would’ve been easier to have just given him a band-aid after all.

“You need a shower,” I said, wrinkling my nose.

“No shit, Sherlock,” he was annoyed with me. Me, the girl who stated the obvious. I stuck my tongue out at him and led him to the shower. He analyzed my bathroom, almost like he was studying it.

“What? Is there something wrong with my bathroom?” I expected another comment about him being too good for my ‘commoner’ stuff. But instead he grinned.

“This bathroom’s kind of small,” he said after a while. I frowned.

“It’s an average bathroom,” I said, offended. His grin widened.

“Well, it’s kind of small for two people, don’t you think?” he nudged me.

“But I already….” And then it hit me.

“Just get in there!”  I yelled pushing him into the shower. He laughed, closing the door behind him. I was really sick of all the sex talk.

“Hand me your clothes,” I said stiffly. He was still laughing, but he obeyed. I heard the slip and slide of cloth over his skin. He poked his head out, handing me the pile of clothes.

“No peeking,” he smiled slyly before closing the door and starting the water. I ignored his last remark and left the bathroom. I could wash his clothes, but Zach, Cassidy, and Jamie would notice if he wore the same clothes again. And he would have to wait in my room with me while his clothes washed. And I wasn't sure how I felt about having a naked boy in my room.

So I went to the next best place. My brother's room. Not Brandon's but my other brother, Riley. My dad was way too big for Sebastian, but him and Riley would probably be the same size. I didn't mention him a lot, because I couldn't. I couldn't even bare to hear his name. Neither can anyone else in my family. Except Brandon. But he was too young to understand. My parents hadn't even told him about Riley. And that was what hurt me the most. my parents acted like my brother's death was supposed to be a secret, something to be depressed over. I was sad too, devastated. But I knew Riley wouldn't want me to throw my life away because of his death.

I hesitated at his door. Nobody had been in there since the day he died. It probably still had the same dirty socks and underwear thrown around the room, the same posters of rockbands and pictures cut out of magazines and taped to the walls. And when I opened the door, I was right. It looked exactly the same as the last time I went in it. When I had gone in and found a girl in his room when I was nine. And not just any girl. But Hayley Madison, Jamie's older sister and captain of the cheerleading squad. They had claimed they were doing homework, but I didn't believe them. I may have been nine, but I knew the difference between doing homework and fooling around.

I walked slowly towards his closet, avoiding keeping my eyes on anything particular. I didn't want any memories that would linger. I scanned the rack of clothes, deciding on a cute black button up shirt similar to the one he had on before and black jeans. I even grabbed a pair of black converse. Not too dressy, but not too casual either. It would be perfect. And I couldn't help but imagine what Sebastian would look like in them. And that was definitely the wrong path to let my mind wander down.

Sebastian was waiting on my bed in his towel that was wrapped around his waist, exposing his extremely impressive abs. Oh my God.....just wow. But I didn't see how he had finished his shower so quickly. Maybe my little episode had lasted longer than I thought. I threw the clothes at him.

"Hurry and get dressed," I said, grabbing my mascara and fixing my eyes. Sebastian did as he was told. As I looked into the mirror, I could see a glimpse of him. I quickly averted my eyes.

"Okay, you can look now," he said. He fluffed his shirt, turning around and showcasing himself.

"Wow, I gotta admit, you look hot," I said, slowly circling around him. He grinned, as if my opinion mattered to him at all.

"Well, it's good to know one girl thinks so," he said, pulling me up against him. He was so close. About as close as we were when I blew a rasberry in his face. Except this time, I didn't feel like doing it. I had a little hunch that he was going to kiss me, so I let my mouth get all relaxed. He grabbed my chin. And then he suddenly laughed. I was shocked from my little fantasy world.

"Don't get so caught up in the moment, kid," he said, laughing again and pushing me away. I felt like I was going to cry. I could deal with his teasing and his jokes, but him playing with my feelings like that was over the line. What feelings? a voice said in my ear. You don't have feelings for him. He's a complete jerk that can't take anything seriously. You got that right.

I slipped on my heels and grabbed my purse.

"Come on. Or we're going to be late," I said, walking out the door, not bothering to wait.

~

I stood on the porch steps, waiting for Sebastian to suck it up and get up here.

"Come on Sebastian. Be a man," I said, crossing my arms. He shook his head.

"I'm not so sure about this Sunny. I peeked through the window, and that party looks a little too rough for you," he said. I scowled. I remembered when he had called me a "kid". Nothing had made me feel so humiliated.

"I don't need help from you. I don't need your advice, I don't need your assistance, and I definitely don't need your concern," I growled. He recoiled like I had slapped him. I wish I could have.

"Come on," I repeated. He followed without a word.

Zach greeted me when we walked in. He looked so hot in his black tee and jeans, I could've died and gone to heaven.

"Hey Zach," I said shyly. He looked me up and down, and smiled as if he liked what he saw.

"Hello sexy," he said, grabbing my waist and pulling me to his side. I grinned like a lunatic. I tried not to notice Sebastian gazing at me. I turned away from him and let Zach show me around.