Chapter 27: Death Man

•••
Rainy's P.O.V
•••

My eyes stayed staring at the man that had found me, nearly dead.

Was around late twenties, his hair a vibrant dark brown, just as his eyes brows. His eyes were the light colored brown of chestnut wood. Stubble covered his face lightly, like sprinkles a top a cake. He seemed very nice, his British accent throwing me every which way, since he said he was from America.

I didn't care.

I was alive, had food, and I wasn't Alone. The perfect situation for now.

"How old are ya'?" He asked quietly through the dimly lit candle light and the cool, Fall air. I didn't lift my bead to look at him, staying very still in the uncomfortable wooden chair he had let me sit in. Keeping my hands firm around the blanket he had offered me. I had refused the blanket the first time, but he insisted on taking it.

"I-18." I said blankly, my green eyes staring at the ground of the cabin.

The cabin was small, only having three rooms. A living area with a kitchen area to accompany it, a bedroom with a king size bed, and a bathroom that surprisingly still worked.

"I'm Gared, By the way. 27 years of age." I nodded slowly as the male spoke, his voice soft as he took a small bowl, and placed it in front of me, as well as a transparent plastic spoon. I rubbed my head and glanced up at him for the first time.

"How long has it been? Since all this started?" I whispered quiet, reaching my hand out slowly to grab the spoon.

"How long? Hmm.. Around.. A year and a half or so." He replied with a kind smile that made me want to smile, but I showed no sign of vulnerability. Just in case he actually wanted to murder or rape me instead of help me.

"I spent the first few months with my friend, Allyson. We found a compound, a guy named.. Austin ran the whole thing. This kid named Cole trying to kill him every now and then to try and become boss and everything. We stayed there for several more months, maybe.. 4 more. So.. About the first 7 months of this, it was all boring. Nothing. Just til one day, this girl.. Named Firess shows up, makes a complete disaster of the place. Making alarms go off, attracting stalkers from miles away, letting them in and everyone just dies.. Except a few people of course."

I let out sigh, stopping myself as soon as I realized I was talking to much.

"Sorry.. Habit." I said in a quiet voice, stirring what seemed like cabbage soup around In the bowl. I looked up again and he seemed to be showing interest in my words.

"No, it only shows that you're smart and like to express yourself." A small smile tugged at my lips harshly, but I was stronger and push the urge away.

Silence then filled the lonely, damp room of the cabin, my mouth being filled with the warm taste of soup and crunchy leaves of cabbage. I hadn't eaten much in the past week, a few energy bars, a chocolate bar, some beans, and some rice.

Hell, that's probably all I've eaten in the past month.

"Why did the chicken cross the road?" I tilted my head to the side, static at my bowl as I swallowed the mouthful of soup.

"Isn't that the oldest joke in the book?" I asked quietly, tapping the plastic fork against the wooden bowl, making an awkward sound.

"No, knock knock jokes are the oldest." He let out a small chuckle at himself. I'm sure that's what he's been doing this whole time. Talking to himself, making funny jokes.

"Okay then. Why did the chicken cross the road?" I let past my lips with a small breath of a sigh forming.

"It didn't, it got ran over." His face was dark, and his smile had long gone faded away into thin air, his eyes narrowed at me, making my body pause.