Chapter 35

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of Kudos and BBC. The original characters and plot are the property of the author of this story. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any previously copyrighted material. No copyright infringement is intended.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:  THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS MATURE CONTENT

>>> <<<

*Contains mature content

Harry found Jools inside the gentleman’s club he regularly frequented, holding court at the first floor alcove with a few other men who were listening intently to something he was saying.  But as soon as Harry appeared, Jools stopped and jokingly told the men to leave him for he had urgent business to attend to.

Within minutes, the private alcove was left to both men and together they sat on two large leather chairs at the far end.  Jools didn’t offer Harry anything to drink and when the host asked Harry if he cared for one, Harry shook his head.

“No, thank you,” Harry said, smiling and watching the host walk away.

“So,” Jools said, as soon as they were alone again.  “What has gotten the venerable Sir Harry Pearce out of his little section in the middle of the day to come pay me a social call?”

“Oh, this is no social call, Jools,” Harry said.  “I’ve come here to warn you.”

“Oh?” Jools cocked an eyebrow, smiling.  “Harry, you know that report is useless, just the words of a bitter traitor against his own boss.”

“I don’t particularly care how you view the report, Jools, but the allegations are serious and they are with merit.  The JIC is currently reviewing all the materials and at the moment, it doesn’t look good for you.”

Jools’ expression hardened, the smile vanishing from his face.  In the past, the head of the JIC owed his position to Jools himself, allowing Jools to extract favors, and there had been many.  But these days, the JIC had changed since he had last held the position as head of MI6 more than five years earlier.  

The establishment had undergone a coup and so much more, and now the current head was someone who took no prisoners.  If what Harry said was true, then Harry had chosen the right time to produce Lubienko’s report.  He took a sip of Scotch and placed the glass back on the table, his muscles tense.  Jools had one more card to play.  

“You have no proof, Harry, and you know it.”

“That’s up the JIC to decide, Jools,” Harry said.  “Besides, you’d be surprised to know that I didn’t hand over the information.  I didn’t have to.”

If Jools was surprised, he managed to conceal it well.  

“I’d talk with the red office, if I were you,” Harry said.  “And find out what they really think about you now.”

As Jools appeared to mull over what he had just heard, Harry got up and said good-bye.  As he walked away, Harry felt a sadness descend upon him.  

For years he’d viewed Jools as a pompous aristocratic bully who chose to use his wealth and blue-blood heritage to get whatever he wanted.  And for years he had succeeded. 

But to have to fall to the depths that Jools was about to fall to, Harry would never have wished it on anyone, especially not one of their own.  Yet there was no denying the fact that Jools was a traitor and had been for over twenty years.  How many lives had he endangered?  How many lives had his treachery really cost the secret services - on all levels?