Chapter 13

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of Kudos and BBC. The original characters and plot are the property of the author of this story. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any previously copyrighted material. No copyright infringement is intended.

>>> <<<

There was no mistaking the two reports that Lucas held in his hands.  They both pointed to the same conclusion.   As he flipped open the first of the two folders, his eyes alighted upon the words on the bottom of the page.  

The probability of Lucas North being the father of Liam Nathaniel George is 99.999%. Therefore it is practically...

Lucas did not need to continue reading the line.  He knew what it said.  Lucas had read it three times since Harry handed the files to him in the car as they drove back to the Grid from Alexa’s flat.  They’d ridden in silence most of the way, as Lucas immersed himself into the file that was Alexa George’s history from the time she had returned from Moscow.  

Harry had not been idle as they had been driven back to the Grid.  He was deep in conversation with Ros about the events at St. Barnabas and Hammersmith station, learning about the kidnapping of Liam George.  

“It seems that someone else got to Liam before the two Russians and us,” Ros said.  “We’re running their identities now but I didn’t get a close look at the woman.”

Harry had also received a call from Malcolm, who told him that Arkady had made one last call to another number that night.  Only one word had been spoken.

“What was it?”

“Phoenix,” Malcolm replied.    

But all the new developments around him had not taken Lucas away from what lay before him.  His whole world had changed, and its contents were contained in the folders he held in his hand. 

According to the report, Alexa had been three weeks pregnant when she landed back in London nine years ago, but it would be three more weeks before the pregnancy would finally be confirmed.  Despite the standard medical tests to ensure Alexa’s overall health, from the complete check-up to the tests for any sexually transmitted diseases, of which none had been reported, there had been no tests administered for a possible pregnancy.  

It wasn’t till she started showing signs of  morning sickness that her pregnancy was confirmed by her own personal doctor and Alexa decided to keep the baby despite her father’s insistence for her to have an abortion.    

Yet it would be the paternity test that Harry himself requested without Alexa’s knowledge that revealed the truth of Liam’s birth father, results which had shocked Harry that he had had a second one performed using another set of Lucas’ DNA that MI5 had on file.  And though he used a different company for the second try, the results had been the same.  

Alexa’s history on paper seemed pretty normal - as long as one didn’t consider the additional reports from Adam Carter as part of the informal debriefing she was supposed to have received - but never did - with MI5.  Lucas felt a pang of jealousy mixed in with curiosity.  What would Adam have wanted to know?   They could hardly have been social calls.

After Lucas had been captured in Russia, Tom Quinn had succeeded him as Section chief.  And when Tom took early retirement, Adam had taken over, holding the position for almost four years.  He had recently perished in a car bomb explosion barely three days earlier, hours after Lucas had just worked with him to rescue a kidnapped soldier.