Chapter 11

When she left his room, there were no signs of Saniya around. She searched the whole hospital but she was not found.

She returned to his room and released a sigh of relief when she found Zaid sleeping.

She took a seat on the nearby single sofa and began to recite some Quranic verses.

After praying Zuhr, she whiffed the supplications on Zaid. It was now the time for his noon medicines. As she thought, nurse came in with the tray of essentials.

" Zaid bhai.. ", she called placing a hand on his broad shoulder.

He groaned in his sleep due to the pain. He slowly opened his eyes and his expression changed from painful to cold as he saw Shafaq in front of him.

" Where's Saniya? ", he asked.

" I think, she has gone to her home. She might be tired. She was with you from yesternight.", Shafaq replied.

" Yeah.. She cares about me a lot. Not like you...", he spat.

Why is he behaving like this with me? What wrong I have done?

She shook her head to clear her mind and began to help Zaid to sit properly.

" Go away.. I don't need your assistance.", Zaid said shoving her hands away.

Shafaq felt slight embarrassed in front of the nurse. She gulped the lump of pain and left Zaid on his own.

******

Papa, Mumma I don't know what to say...

It's been 15 days, Bhai had been discharged from the hospital yesterday but he is behaving rudely with me since the day he has gained his consciousness.

I don't know what's my fault! It hurts more when you don't know your fault and you are getting punished.

Saniya has disappeared from the scene as if she was never present in his life. I think, Bhai thinks that I am responsible for all the events.

But that's not true na? What should I do??

The house felt like the silence has engulfed it in it's embrace. Nobody smiles, nobody eats properly. Everyone is living as formality.

I can't see Mamu and Mumani like this. I have seen many times Naano crying in her prayers when she prays about Zaid bhai.

I want to help them. But I don't know how??

******

The door bell rang and Shafaq opened the door coming face to face with Saniya.

Shafaq's insides twisted seeing Saniya. That means, the time has come when Zaid bhai and Saniya would be together. Mamu hadn't said anything about the proposal and she felt like he had accepted Zaid's words.

But, today Saniya was not looking like herself. Her queen like attitude, her glare wasn't there. In fact, today she was not making proper eye contact with Shafaq.

She cleared her throat and asked, " Where's Zaid? "

" He is in his room. Let me show you.", Shafaq said closing the door behind them and taking Saniya with her.

Due to the accident, Zaid's room was shifted to the ground floor. Mamu and Mumani was in the living room with Naano, discussing about something.

They were shocked to see Saniya in their house. She ignored them and entered Zaid's room.

" Would you like to have tea or coffee? ", Shafaq asked Saniya.

Saniya looked at her in awe. She wasn't showing any sign of anger or hatred towards her.

How can she be so polite after I have done so much with her?

" No, I want to discuss something important with Zaid and I don't want any disturbance. ", she ordered and Shafaq left.

"What's she doing here?", Mumani asked Shafaq as she came to the living room.

Shafaq told them about the reason of her arrival.

" I don't like her a bit. Why aren't you saying something to her?", Mumani asked Mamu who was busy in his thoughts.

" What can I say when my words have snatched the ability of walking from my son.", Mamu said with grief.

Mumani's features softened at his words. The environment suddenly became tensed.
Shafaq wrapped her arm around Mamu and said,

" Mamu, why are you blaming yourself? It was destined and we can't run away from our destinies.. Everything happens for a reason and it had happen for something good. Trust me!"

Mamu smilingly nodded, " Our Shafaq has grown up into a beautiful young lady with beautiful soul.", he said patting her head.

Mumani and Naano smiled looking at Shafaq.

******

Saniya looked at the sleeping Zaid. His face had paled due to the accident. Once glowing face, was now covered with light stubble. His eyes had some dark circles. His right hand was still in the cage of plaster.

Zaid opened his eyes, feeling a presence in his room. His face lit up seeing Saniya.

" Oh my God Saniya! I missed you a lot!", he said getting up.

Saniya remained stood at her place looking at him.

" Come take a seat.", Zaid said.

She took a seat on a nearby single sofa.

" I wanted to talk about our marriage. ", Zaid said and Saniya's head snapped towards him.

" I have talked about this with Papa but he is adamant to marry off me with Shafaq. ", he said clenching his fist, " But, how can I marry her when I love you."

" So, I have thought that we will do Nikah as soon as possible and then Papa and Mummy have to accept our relation-. " Zaid was cut off by Saniya's voice.

" Hold your horses, Zaid. I had come to tell you that my family doesn't want me to marry you."

" But, earlier you said that they are eager for our marriage ", he asked.

" Yes. But now they are marrying me off with a NRI businessman.", she said. There were no signs of regret on her face.

" And you will not fight for yourself, for our love?"

" No, how can I go against my family? I am happy with the propo- ", she bit her tongue to stop herself.

" Ohhh... Now I understand! ", he said staring at the floor.

" You are going away because of my condition. ", he looked up to see Saniya.

Saniya had not have the guts to look at him. She was looking nervous as a thief who had been caught stealing.

" Sorry I can't marry you.", she said.

Zaid looked at her in shock. She was saying that with ease and proving that their love was a false belief.

"Why Saniya ? I am sure that I will be able to walk one day if you will be with me.", he said for one last time.

" What's the surety that you will be able to walk properly one day? What if you won't? I can't let my future dangle on mere probabilities. ", she said with disgust.

Zaid felt a huge pain of restlessness as if she was spitting venom with her every word. Where was that Saniya who used to care for him? Or that also was just an act or fake concerns.

"Look at your condition, Zaid. No one wants a husband who needs help in every work and is dependant on his wife.", she said.

" Shut up!! GO AWAY! JUST GO AWAY! ", he yelled on top of his lungs.

Saniya threw one last glance of disgust at him and left.