Chapter 22

" Papa!! ", a gasp left her lips seeing her father's picture on the wall. Zaid came towards her hearing her voice.

There were some other pictures too of her father with some old couple, some with other family members like his brother.

Her father never told her about his family, as she remembered. But, she was feeling some sort of connection to this place since she had put her first step inside the house.

" Shafaq. ", a voice came from her behind, startling both Zaid and her.

She turned back to found that same old lady with a woman, who was smiling at her.

" Mashaallah, you just look like your mother.", the woman said caressing her head.

" I am sorry, but I don't remember you.", Shafaq said shyly.

" It's not your fault. A lot time had passed. ", she said kissing her forehead, " I had last seen you when you were 8 years old.", and Shafaq confusingly looked at Zaid who too was confused.

" I am your aunt Rabia. Your father's sister-in-law.", she enlighten her, " And this is your house."

" Who are you?", Rabia asked looking at Zaid.

" I am Zaid Hussein, her husband. ", Zaid introduced himself. "

" Mashaallah, You have grown up into a handsome man. I am very happy to see you both together. ", aunt said caressing his head for blessings.

Shafaq was still totally confused. How one can come suddenly and claim that you are a part of their family?

" I know, it's hard for you to grasp this information. Come, have a seat and let's have a talk over coffee.", she said to both of them.

******

" Aziz Ahmed and Niyaz Ahmed were two siblings and sons to a happy couple Yamina Ahmed and Yaseer Ahmed.", Rabia told keeping her cup on the table.

"Your Daadi, Yamina was a self centred person from start and liked to control everything. That's why she made Niyaz Ahmed marry a girl of her choice, Rabia Shaikh, that's me."

" But your Daada chose a simple girl, a daughter of his friend for your father, Aziz. This single thing was enough for your Daadi to hold a grudge against your mother, Amna.", Shafaq eyes widened hearing those words.

" All was going great by Allah's grace, everyone was happy in their small lives but your Daadi never left a single chance to degrade your mother. Amna was very loving and caring, always respected her.", Rabia's eyes welled up remembering Amna.

" Amna and I were like sisters to each other. After some years, I was blessed with a daughter, Saniya that brought a wave of happiness in this house. "

Saniya was her cousin!

She had come to meet Saniya here but a new secret was waiting for her.

" Amna gave birth to you some years later and your Daadi made issue of this thing too, as she wanted a grandson from her. It was all her way to get rid of her.", Rabia said fixing her gaze on Shafaq, "For Aziz, his family came first and he wanted to live in peace. That's why, he separated from this house taking Amna and you with him."

" Amna was a responsible daughter-in-law and took this duty seriously. She always visted us and met your Daadi with a smile as if nothing has happened. "

" But, it was not hidden from me that she was dying a silent death from inside. Her blank eyes were a solid proof of her void. Whenever we used to meet, she was worried about your future, your well-being."

" One day, when I went to meet her, I found her sleeping peacefully with a note. ", Rabia handed an old crumpled note to Shafaq.

******

By the time, you will read this note, I would have taken my last breath.

I can't take this anymore. I can't see the hate in Ammi's eyes for me. May be I am a coward but my life has become a burden on me.

Aziz please take care of our daughter. She is very serene and genuine. You were a great husband!

Shafaq put a hand on her lips to kill her sobs, but that was of no use. Her eyes were pouring tears.

Mumma had committed suicide.

She remembered coming with her dad from the carnival, finding her mother sleeping and afterwards doctors had announced her dead. Why didn't anybody told her about it, earlier?

" Shafaq, calm down.", Rabia said patting her back, who was crying on Zaid's chest. Zaid was making soothing circles on her back.

"My mother's death was the reason behind my father's sudden death ? ", she asked calming herself.

Rabia nodded ," Your father was really a great husband and that's why he wasn't able to cope without Amna, he felt himself responsible for r her death and that's why he died after two months. He was sure that you will not be safe here, so he gave you to your Mamu and Mumani. ", Rabia said.

" I wanted to meet you, see you growing up but I was afraid of Ammi. Rabia said with regret.

" Is she here?", Shafaq asked shocking them both.

******

A sudden burst of nervousness and worry crept up in her stomach as she entered the room.

The room was large with a queen size bed in the middle. Daadi was lying on her bed with various machines attached to her body.

She slowly took steps towards the bed and took a seat in front of her. Her face was pale and wrinkled. It was looking like Daadi was going through a lot to live. She was not feeling good seeing her like this.

Shafaq got up from her seat and ran out of the room. Zaid followed her and found her crying on the porch's staircase.

Zaid sat beside her, placing his arm around her. Shafaq began to cry in his chest, her arms around his neck. Zaid let her cry her heart out.

" I was unwanted. ", Shafaq cried tightening her hold on him " I am the reason for my parent's death. Now too, Daadi is going through a lot because of me."

Zaid held her arms and forced her to look at him, " Never ever repeat these words in front of me. Understand?", he asked Shafaq who had lowered her gaze.

" It was all Maktub, Shafaq. As you always say, it was meant to be happen. We can't blame anyone for it.", he said pulling her in his embrace and kissing her forehead, " You are the life giver, Shafaq, not a life-snatcher."

" Do you want to still meet her?", Zaid asked caressing her head and Shafaq nodded.

They returned to Daadi's room where she was still sleeping. Zaid put his hand on her shoulder for encouragement.

Few moments passed, Daadi opened her eyes and her lashes flickered due to weakness. She glanced at Shafaq for a second, " S-Shafaq..", her croaked voice appeared.

Shafaq slowly took her hand in hers. She was little bit surprised, as she knew her and also remembered her.

" Why are you so late? I wanted to apologise to you.",she said and Shafaq looked at her with tears, confused , "I was never been a good mother, mother-in-law or granny. I have snatched your family from you. ", her voice shivered at the end with tears.

" Allah too, never liked our deeds that's why we are facing these crisis. I am sorry. ", she raised her hand to touch Shafaq's cheek.

" Daadi. ", Shafaq said kissing her hand and touching them with her eyes, " Don't say sorry. You are making me embarrassed. "

Daadi smiled, " You are just like Amna.", with that Shafaq hugged her. They both cried as if they were waiting for each other for years.

After few minutes, Shafaq composed herself,  "What type of crisis were you talking about? ", she asked remembering her words.

" Shafaq. ", a surprised voice of Saniya behind her, forced Shafaq to look at her and her mouth opened in agape.