Chapter 15

This chapter is dedicated to happy_muslimah for being the sweetest reader. Love u!!

She moved the curtains from the windows, allowing the lenient sunshine of influx of winter to enter the room.

Zaid was sleeping with furrowed brows. His face was looking somewhat glowing maybe due to the last morning shave.

She sat down in front of him and slowly straightened his forehead creases which she used to do whenever he got angry.

Zaid shuffled in his sleep by her touch. He opened his eyes with a groan.

"Assalamualaikum.", Shafaq said caressing his hair.

Zaid shoved her hand and narrowed his eyes at her.

" Who told you to move the curtains? Keep them as they were.", Zaid said sitting upright.

" You slept well? ", Shafaq asked ignoring his order.

Last night, Shafaq massaged his legs with oil from his prescription. After giving him dinner, his medicines, she went to sleep.

" What I am telling you?", Zaid yelled.

" I am sorry, those curtains won't move from their place.", Shafaq said folding her hands.

" Now finish this juice and we have to go in the garden for your excercise. ", she said handing him the glass of orange juice.

" I am not going anywhere and you too go away from here. ", he said closing his eyes.

Shafaq stayed silent for a moment then put the glass to his mouth. She held his both the hands which was quite impossible for her small hand but somehow she managed.

" Finish this glass like a good boy.", she said when she felt Zaid hands wiggling in her grip.

He finished the glass," You are very bad. ", Zaid said wiping his mouth with his hand.

" I know.", she took his hands and began to wipe it with the napkin.

******

" We are not going anywhere till you don't do the excercise. ", Shafaq announced taking seat on the ground in front of him.

She slowly took his right leg in her hands and began with the knee excercises.

" It will not hurt to do excercise for sometime. ", Shafaq said doing the same procedure with the other.

After his excercise session was over, she slowly wiped his sweaty forehead with her dupatta.

" Say something. You haven't spoken a single letter in the whole session. ", Shafaq said taking a seat on the bench.

Zaid just glared at her, " What I am supposed to say, when you don't listen to me? "

" Awww..", Shafaq teasingly pinched his nose and Zaid shoved her han away.

" Here. See this. Isn't it beautiful? ", she asked giving him the white rose plucking it from the nearby bush.

" What's good in this? It's just a flower.", he asked irritated.

Shafaq slowly put it infront of his nose, " Smell it."

Zaid unknowingly inhaled the fresh scent of the rose. Shafaq was watching his every action and caught the slight change in his mood. The furrowed brows were replaced by the calmness.

He didn't spoke anything that meant, he liked the scent, " I knew it. You would like it."

" I didn't like it.", Zaid said without making an eye contact.

" You know? You are a pathetic liar.", Shafaq said moving his chair for his room.

******

Shafaq put the empty utensils of the dinner in the kitchen sink and began to wash it. She began to thought about the events in her life nowadays.

It had been ten days since when she had started Zaid's routines of excercises and diet. But he was not showing a slight improvement. He was the same irritated, snobby, stubborn Zaid of ten days ago.

'Keep trying!'

Naano's words rang in her mind. She had told her to do not lose hope in Allah and in her efforts, when she had discussed the same problem. A sneeze and then the series of it broke her thoughts.

" Shafaq, get away from the sink.", Mumani said holding her arm," Look at yourself. I told you to take rest." she scold her.

" I am fine, Mumani. It's just flu.", Shafaq mumbled.

" Just flu!! You have high fever, madam.", Mumani said touching her forehead with back of her hand, " You are not taking care of yourself in Zaid's condition. That's not good. Take the medicines and have some rest tacitly. ", Mumani said caressing her head.

" I will, Mumani. I will have dinner with him then finishing of chores, I will head to bed. Promise. ", Shafaq said holding her hand.

It had become her routine to do the breakfast, lunch and dinner with Zaid. Because being with him, she used to keep a watch on him if he is having his meal properly or not.

" Leave it, Shafaq. Don't do anything for him, don't tire yourself, " Mumani said with broken voice, " I know my son will never acknowledge your efforts and will be encircled in his own world. He didn't want to be happy. Leave him on his own. "

" Mumani, please don't say like this. I want your courage, your blessings. What I will do if you will lose hope?",she said cupping Mumani's face.

"We have spoiled your life by marrying you with him.", Mumani's voice croaked due to the sobs.

" No..no, Mumani. ", she quickly hugged her," You haven't spoilt my life, instead you have given me a new purpose in my life. That was my choice Mumani to be with him and I am very happy with him."

" May Allah give you courage and success. ", Mumani said smilingly patting her head.

******

After they both finished the dinner, Shafaq took him in front of his room's window.

" Have you seen the winter sky? Isn't it good? " she said peeking out of the window.

" It's black as usual. ", Zaid said with boredom.

"But the shining stars give it a heavenly feeling. Don't they?", she asked sitting in front of him taking his right leg in her hands for the oil massage.

Zaid snapped, " Keep your boring stuffs with yourself. "

" Why are you trying so hard to make me fit, When I don't want to? ", he asked her.

" Why?", she asked. She wanted to listen his reasons for his bitterness.

" For whom I will live my life when no one is left in my life, Saniya is gone.", Zaid said with sadness covering his voice.

Shafaq looked him in shock. How he supposed to think like this? Why is he so self centred?

" Sorry to say this but I have never seen a blind person like you.", Shafaq said standing up quickly and fixing her glasses.

" Mind your language, Shafaq. ", Zaid yelled.

" Stop yelling.", she showed his palm to stop him," You are blind because you can't see the bounty Allah has bestowed you with. A father who forgot to smile from the day his son lost his walking ability. A mother who have linked so many hopes that one day her son will live his life normally, who will smile one day. A grandmother, who never forgets to pray for her grandson's health and wish that one day her grandson will come to meet her on his own.", Shafaq said, tears were brimming in her eyes.

Stay calm.

" I don't know what you want to prove. But, Saniya was your past. She is gone and you are spoiling your life for a girl who didn't even cared to throw a second glance at you.", Shafaq said lifting the tray from the table with that she left his room.