Book 1⌇5. Pride

Chapter 5 ∣  Her Pride

-Annika

Only a coward would weaken another to ensure its victory. That's precisely what I make known to Locaine when I snarl, "You chain me up, inject me with that fuckin' crap...and beat me. You are a coward."

I can feel his breath tickle the outer shell of my ear, the feeling of his hands still lingering on me putting me on edge as he whispers, "Do you really want to fight me?" He pauses a moment while chuckling as if taunting me, daring me to make a move as he finishes, "Would you like to try and kill me?"

My heart pounds loudly in my chest, drumming against my ribcage. His footsteps echo off the stone floor while he circles around in front of me like a hawk, his eyes transfixed on my form. He stares into my eyes, almost as if hidden within his is a conflicted battle of pride and will, never having thought I would have lived this long being in the presence of a vampire let alone a pureblood.

My features shift slightly when he says those words. The temptation is enticing, just the chance to end his life pushes me from my silence when I ask, "A fair fight?" The suspicion in my eyes is easily seen, the shrug of his shoulders letting me know that he hardly thinks anything of this confrontation.

He takes a few steps toward me, the distance between us hardly room enough for a penny. His fingers capture my chin, lifting it as he stares down into my eyes with this mischievous look in his own as he replies, "Why not?"

I know I'm hasty in my decision, but that doesn't stop my mind from processing the words flying past my lips when I say, "If this is the only chance I will have to kill you, then so be it, I accept." The words are full of venom, and without hesitation, as I confirm his offer without second-guessing the choice, I make.

My rage continues to pulsate through my body, anger rising within me that brings forth the core being of what it means to be a hunter.

"Oh, and there is one thing I forgot to mention," a sinister smirk works its way up onto his lips, dread filling me as my anger subsides at the realization of the cards I'm playing that have been laid out before me. His arms raised above my head, feeling him loosen the lock that binds my wrists to the chain hanging overhead, "If you lose, you will have to tell me where exactly your family members are."

Well, fuck me!

My eyes immediately widened in horror, the brief spitfire that had risen within me is nothing more than a facade. I know I'm not capable of beating him, thinking possibly I may win by a sheer stroke of luck, however, now I'm playing for much more than my own life...

"Still want to try and kill me?" The curiosity in his voice only further testing my pride and my willingness to abandon what I know I shouldn't do...but there's just something burning within me, a flame not ready to be extinguished or go down without a fight.

With my hands pinned in front of me by not only the shackles but Locaine's tight grasp, I test his strength. My attempt to free myself from the vice grip is hardly a challenge, not even having to bat an eye at my childish move.

Instead, I observe this look in his eyes, the sudden movements he makes throws me off guard completely. He draws me closer to his chest with a surprisingly gentle touch, but his firm grip remains, holding me in place and inline. His free arm encircles around my lower back, the warmth from his touch causes me to inhale sharply.

"I-I," my stammering isn't getting me anywhere as I answer his question. Pushing back the feeling of the way he affects me, I struggle against his grasp, attempting to squirm away from his hold but he hardly budges whatsoever.