Book 1⌇8. Cat and Mouse

Chapter 8 ∣  Cat and Mouse

-Annika

The sound of a massive thunderclap startles me awake. My eyelids snap open, gingerly sitting up while I place my hands firmly on either side of my thighs on the bed. The covers are draped over my body, memories of the night coming back to me in fragments. The one thing I'm entirely aware of is...

...my full strength has returned, though my head remains a bit dizzy.

What time is it?

My thoughts continue to wander while my eyes glance down and I inspect my body. With the covers pulled back, I can see the clothes I am still wearing are tattered, the maid uniform covered in blood though my skin doesn't appear to retain any stains left behind from the crimson liquid.

Previous night?

Glancing around again, I begin to wonder if I've been asleep longer than what my body is leading on. However, I'm one hundred percent sure that no one would allow me to sleep longer than I should...Emily crossing my mind in that split-second thought.

Just as she comes to my mind, I peer out around the bubble sanctuary of my bed. I can see the shadows of the other two beds, narrowing my eyes to see the sleeping forms of both Emily and Carly. Their steady rhythmic breathing is easily seen from the way the covers rise and fall, their breath even.

It must be daytime.

Just as I come to that conclusion, another thought strikes me. If the entire coven, Emily, and Carly all thought I was too weak and left me here to sleep, probably assuming I will sleep straight through to the night...that means the Lovenox should be wearing off in a matter of hours.

My escape doesn't seem so far-fetched any longer, a smile gracing my lips at the thought of a small ray of hope.

This very well could be the only chance I have at an escape...I don't want to waste the opportunity and let it pass me by.

Another thunderclap echoes from the outside of the mansion, reverberating through the walls and lingering in my chest. What surprises me...but really shouldn't come as a surprise...there is no flash of light, determining how far away the storm is. Instead, I'm reminded harshly that there are no windows within the small confinement of this room.

Pivoting my legs around and allowing them to dangle over the side of the bed, I quickly catch myself to realize that the heels that should have contacted the ground don't. My heart pounds in my chest at how foolish the sound could have been, awakening the girls and with that the entire coven. While I pause, my feet suspended in the air, I let out a calm breath and lower my legs, carefully pulling one of my legs across the other, unstrapping the heel. Gently placing it soundlessly on the covers next to me, I mimic my actions with the remaining heel, making sure that not a single sound is emanated.

A chill runs down my spine the second the bottoms of my stocking feet encounter the cold marble floor. Promptly, I depart toward the wardrobe that has been assigned to me, gripping the metal handle and opening it gradually until there is enough room for me to thoroughly access its contents. With the small space I give myself, not wanting the hinges to creak, I note the scarce sound that comes from pushing the door just a little further past the point of no return.

I glimpse around the wardrobe, discovering inside the collective maid uniforms that are identical to the one I'm currently wearing. Rolling my eyes and breathing out a huff under my breath, I snatch a fresh uniform, leaving behind the heels, stockings, and the garter belt. The basics are all I need, just don't want to be running around the town completely naked, but apparently, this suffices as clothes, so...I'm not too worried.