Book 1⌇23. Exhale

Chapter 23 ∣  Exhale

-Annika

"Mother?" My voice feels like it doesn't belong to me, the strain and surprise in it evident. I thought for sure I'm seeing a ghost as I attempt to push Locaine to move around his side, wanting to get a better look at the woman's voice I recognize. He holds me tightly, unsure of the situation while his muscles tense. My mother and the other female are dressed in tight leather pants, dark long-sleeve shirts with jackets over the top. She has her hair pulled back tightly in a bun, her eyes meeting mine in an unbreakable lock.

"Annika..." my father's voice trails off, my heart stopping in my chest at the realization both of my parents are standing in Locaine's ballroom. I never imagined I would ever be staring at my parents ever again, let alone in the vampire king's own mansion. Yet here they are, their eyes filled with so many mixed emotions. I don't recognize the other male and female that are with my parents, furrowing my brows as my gaze travels over all of them.

Rynn edges silently and carefully toward them, but Locaine signals for her as well as Michael and Adam to stay still, standing down for the moment. I can tell he is analyzing what is going on and doesn't want to make a hasty decision, especially regarding my parents.

I notice that Henri and Darius have appeared, circling around the group, waiting for Locaine's command. It seems they have come back early, their arrival signaling greater numbers the vampires possess compared to the group of four hunters.

"How..." tears well up in my eyes as I don't have the slightest idea how they even found me to begin with.

My mother takes a brave step forward while answering, "We saw you, on tv...with him." My mother is referring to Locaine as she motions toward him. I can hear Locaine hiss lowly, his fangs already showing between his lips. My body is shaking violently with uncertainty, my heart lurching from my chest at the conflicted emotions.

"I thought you were in Florida," my father places a hand on my mother's shoulder, noticing Flynn circling around to Rynn.

"I-I was," I pull slightly forward, but Locaine's fingertips dig into my side, and I wince, unsure of why he's hurting me...

...better yet, I now realize...why is he so protective?

They are my parents.

My mother holds a short sword in her right hand and points it at Locaine, "I remember you. You tried to kill Annika a long time ago."

"And I remember you," Locaine glares at my father, the anger coming through in his voice, "you killed my brother."

My father merely laughs.

Why is he laughing?

"You're the younger brother of the late Lord Enos aren't you?" His gaze is critical as a moment goes by before he expresses, "I expected more," he shrugs his shoulders.

Rynn hisses in response, the look of rage set on her face, holding back only because of Locaine's command. Without him restraining her, she more than likely would have already lunged for their throats. Michael and Adam are back on their feet, blocking the only entrance to the room and securing all of us within the ballroom. The two other hunters turn their backs to my parents' defending each other's blind spots.

"I managed to kidnap your daughter," Locaine growls lowly, threatening them to proceed any further.

My mother holds her sword to her side, gripping the handle hard while she states, "That is exactly why we are here."

"Annika, come here," my father motions, my feet frozen in blocks of ice as the exchange between my parents and Locaine is heated.

A perplexed look crosses my face the second Locaine's grip releases me, my gaze traveling up to see his features. He does not take his eyes off my parents, but I do notice that they are a black rose now. My heart beats fast in my chest, my mouth becoming dry as I remain still and unsure of what to do...