Book 1⌇16. Deliverance

Chapter 16 ∣  Deliverance

-Locaine

Our movements are swift and decisive as we weave our way through the thicket right at the edge of the structure. Rynn leaps from the grass, landing lightly on a tree branch with her eyes scanning the entrance, the foreboding doors coming into sight.

It looks like there are two guards outside. Rynn's crystalline voice slips into my mind with ease.

Darius skids to a halt and crouches down behind some of the overgrown brush. The right one is mine he communicates while he runs low to the ground around to the side of the building.

Locaine? Rynn asks, waiting for my order before proceeding either as an attacker or playing overwatch.

I have the left. I acknowledge her before taking off at a full-on sprint toward the front door. The two vampires notice me instantly.

Good. That was precisely what I was counting on, causing a distraction for the true attacker to come into view. They hiss, their fangs coming into view as one of them lunges forward, throwing a quick punch to my chest.

I lean back into his assault and grab onto his wrist in the process, pulling him down and slamming his chest onto the ground. I throw my knee into his back, taking hold of his neck, Darius circling around and sinking his fangs into the neck of the remaining guard who had been all too preoccupied with readying to help his fallen comrade.

Rynn saunters into view, her hips swaying from side to side while she releases a sarcastic sigh, "Looks like I wasn't needed, now was I?"

Darius rips the vampire's throat out, blood spilling from his neck. He smirks while blood coats his teeth as he laughs, "Wouldn't want to ruin your outfit."

I listen for the chilling crunch as I snap the vampire's neck I have in my hold, his face facing up to the sky a moment later at the quick action. I rise gradually to my feet just as Rynn passes by me.

"Shall we?" Rynn nods, our eyes locking. I can see that familiar thirst in her eyes, not only the want to kill, but the need for it as the confrontation only heightens our senses.

We creep up to the doors, quietly and carefully unlatching the lock and pushing them open in one smooth motion. I'm no stranger to this place, the homespun halls bring back memories of my childhood, the good memories and the bad are swirling chaos within my mind. My father favored Enos, but Enos saw me as his equal, thus wanting me to understand the exact specifications of the way the world would soon change by his hand. I would have been just as thrilled to stand at his side during the transition but now...I'll never know. That is precisely why he entrusted me to finish his work, not my father, not his widow Jezabel...no one.

Me.

We take it easy, watching our steps as we tentatively make our way into the main hall, our eyes constantly scanning for any sign of movement. My father no longer belongs to a coven, he prefers his solitude with select few companions, especially after mother's death his world changed drastically from that day onward. Rynn's watchful eyes are vigilant, leering into each hallway until we make it to the grand staircase.

"Locaine," Jezabel's voice is slightly cheerful, homing in on us the moment she catches our movements from the shadows of a hallway.

"You were expecting me?" I arch a brow while hiding my confusion, as I regard her form, she comes forth from the hallway.

Jezabel narrows her eyes and her demeanor shifts instantly when she informs me, "I was counting on it."

Darius side steps to my right as Rynn circles around to my left, guarding our movements against unseen, observant eyes.