Book 1⌇13. A Night to Remember

Chapter 13 ∣  A Night To Remember

-Annika

A week had passed, and the extra group of vampires appears to have created a bit of tension. I believed that the reasoning behind this had to be my doing. Whenever Emily, Carly, and myself went about doing our duties around the mansion, I would get snarls, hisses, and glares.

Locaine left me alone for the most part, too busy entertaining his guests to have time to bother with me. I'm not complaining because it's a relief not to continually glance over my shoulder wondering when he'll decide I've fallen out of line and punish me for it.

Apparently, this memory ball is a huge deal in their community, and it is right around the corner.

I release a heavy sigh as I flop back on my bed in the room we all share, my gaze transfixed on the ceiling above me.

I outstretch my left arm, closing and opening my fingers creating a fist. Every bone that had been broken finally fell into place while repairing itself.

It finally feels one hundred percent.

"Yes!" The sound of the wooden door bolting open echoes throughout the peaceful room, disturbing my thoughts while my gaze falls on the opening. Carly's dark hair is set in curls, bouncing as her lively presence comes rushing across the room before she comes to a halt to stand beside my bed.

I'm quite curious, "What could you possibly be happy about?"

"The gowns our masters have selected are being delivered very soon for tonight!" Carly squeals like a school girl being asked to prom.

Tonight?

"That's right," apparently Emily had been trailing Carly as she enters the room, closing the door softly behind her, "no one mentioned to you the ball was tonight, did they?"

No.

I hadn't heard a word breathed about this event, just that it is approaching soon. Why do I find myself making an excuse for him when I say, "Locaine's been...preoccupied as of late."

I'm tired.

Tired of running around like a little maid.

"Your hand looks all better," Emily regards flatly.

"Don't worry, it won't last that long," I roll my eyes sarcastically. With the way I kept revolting, I'm sure to have something else broken in no time soon.

I place my hands beneath my head as I glance back up at the ceiling, casting my gaze away from the girls. It's been nice not having to interact with Locaine. I know that will probably change shortly after this memory ball, but at least I've some reprieve from the constant unwanted attention.

After all, he wants my parents...

"I'm going to take a shower," Carly groans while rolling her shoulders to alleviate her tense muscles, unstraps her heels and heads into the bathroom.

I allow my eyelids to shut and sigh, "Go ahead, I already took one this morning."

It isn't long before I find myself drifting off to sleep. My breathing calm and relaxed as I inhale and exhale slowly.

**

They are quite beautiful...

...my thoughts trail the three, floor-length gorgeous dresses hanging before us. There is a pin on each hanger that designates which one is assigned to each of us.

Carly's eyes water, about to cry from how stunning she looks. The dress that Adam picked out for her is a royal purple. There is a slit that comes up to her mid-thigh on the left side of her leg. Two bands of diamonds cascaded over the stripped 'X' that comes across her midriff. Her chest is covered with little fabric as an elegant pyramid triangle shows off just under her sternum. Her dress finishes in a halter type style around her neck with more diamonds.