The great unknown

I walk downstairs to see everyone has arrived and are now sitting eating pizza and drinking soda.

I had been standing just out of sight, blending into the shadows like I'm use to. All of sudden Libby's head turns in my direction and her violet eyes meet mine. Everyone turns and looks at me.

Out of habit, or possibly fear from having so many eyes on me, I start to back away but Libby jumps up and races over to me. I give her a small smile as she grabs my hand and pulls me over to sit next to her. Which also puts me next to Scott and across from Stiles.

When the smell of pepperoni and bacon pizza hits my nose my stomach starts to growl.

Everyone chuckles awkwardly. I know it has to do with how sickly I look, so skinny, it almost seems to pain Melissa and a couple of the others to even look at me. "Which one do you want we have-" I cut Allison off.

"Pepperoni and bacon. Please." I say barely remembering my manners. When she and Lydia look at me strangely I just say, "Wolf nose."

They nod and Scott hands me a couple slices of pizza and a Dr. Pepper.

"Thank you." I say then dig into my pizza I reach for a third slice and realize everyone watched me practically inhale my first two slices. I set my third slice down and try to eat it slower.

I don't look up but I can still feel them starting at me, and, if the heat on my neck and face are any indication, I am blushing, again.

"So I guess you probably need new clothes. So Allison, Kira, and I thought we would take you shopping tomorrow. Don't worry you won't have to pay for a thing it would be my pleasure to help you find new outfits." She says quickly, reading the expression on my face.

"It's true she lives for this kind of stuff. It's kinda like when we were little and dressed up Barbie dolls." Allison says, sending me a calm smile which helps me relax slightly.

"Sissy. Are you gonna stay here with me. I don't want to be taken away from you again." Libby says in a small voice.

I brush back a strand of blonde hair and kiss the top of her head before giving my answer, "I'm not going anywhere. Not yet at least. Ok?"

"Good because I want you to finally have a real family as well. Don't worry they aren't anything like the Larsons." She whispers the last part to me.

The Larsons had been one of the few foster homes that both Libby and I had been in together. Let's just say they weren't exactly parent material.

"I do have a real family. You are my real family. As long as I have you I'm ok." I say, looking down at her.

"I love you." Libby lisps slightly due to a missing tooth.

"I love you too, kiddo. Now I want you to finish your food." I say ruffling her hair.

"Ok." Then we all turn back to our food. However I don't miss Stiles's questioning glance that most likely has to do with the mention of the Larsons.

Thinking of the Larsons has put a sour taste in my mouth so I just sit and stare at my food. My appetite gone and replaced by the urge to  hurl.

Eventually everyone finishes eating and they start to head into the living room. Everyone but Scott, Stiles, and Derek have left the table and when I look up I see both of them staring at me.

"What?" I ask suspiciously, my voice laced with ice.

"Well it's just that we don't know much about you." Scott says calmly.

"What do you want to know?"

"Well," Scott looks at Derek before continuing, "we need to know some... Background. We need to know if we can trust you."

I suck in my cheeks, nodding my head. I understand they need to be able to trust me if I am going to stay, but it still manages to irritate me. I sigh before finding my answer.

"The first few homes we stayed at we were together. None of them really cared though and at the first sign of trouble they kicked us out. After the first three foster homes they split Libby and I up. Libby had been adopted at the age of three. After a few more crappy foster homes I decided to go find Libby. When I found her she was with a couple who had two kids if there own. She was five when I found her. I was the one who called the system to get her out of that house." I say and I fight the urge to throw something.

"Why?" Stiles asks and when I look at him the realization hits him.

"I only saw him hit her once but it was one to many. So when there were bruises to prove it she was put back into the system and then she was moved here. Naturally I followed. I wanted to make sure this new family was going to be good to her." I finish. "Is that all you need to know or do I need to explain all of my foster homes?" I ask coldly.

"Thank you for being honest with us. I'm glad you were able to get Libby out of that home. She is a really sweet girl." Scott says and Stiles gives me a small smile and a nod.

"Yeah. I'm just surprised she was able to remain so innocent. I mean if that one family abused her." Stiles says.

Tears prick my eyes for the hundredth time today and I simply whisper, "You have no idea." Because that was only the surface of what has happened. There was more to this than just one bad foster home.