Nightmare

At first I didn't dream at all, something that is fairly normal for me, but then I started dreaming about my mom and dad.

I was just getting off the bus. I walk to the door and yell for dad. When I don't get an answer I walk farther into the house and set my bag down in the kitchen. "Dad?" I call again as I walk upstairs and towards his bedroom, thinking I would find him passed out from too much drinking. When I walk in I see dad with a gun in his hand. I know he is about to pull the trigger. Then I hear the pop of the gun. I start to scream as I see my father on the floor. My baby sister crying in the next room. Screaming filling my ears.

"Kallee! Wake up! Kallee, you need to wake up. It was just a dream." My eyes fly open and I see Stiles with Scott right behind him, both looking very worried. My body starts to shake uncontrollably and Stiles pulls me to his chest. "Shh, it's okay it was just a dream." I shake my head.

It wasn't just a dream, it was a memory. I realize that I had been dreaming and that makes me wonder if I had actually screamed. "Did I scream?" I ask as I start to calm down, and pull away from Stiles.

"No, but Scott said your heartbeat was beating really fast. So we came in and saw you. You looked really scared." Stiles says.

"It was... just a really realistic nightmare. I guess." I say.

"Are you going to be okay now?" Scott asks.

"Well, I don't see myself going back to sleep yet, but I will be okay. I think I'm going to get some fresh air then try to go back to sleep." I say then get up and leave Scott and Stiles standing in the bedroom.

I step outside and stand on the porch for a few minutes, before going back in to find Stiles and Scott are asleep. I try to fall asleep, but instead I just lay in bed and stare at the ceiling, wondering if this was the right decision.

****

Only a couple hours have passed when I decide to give up on sleep completely. I walk towards Libby's room, finding the right one by her scent. When I reach it I hesitate to open her door but decide to anyways. I open it just enough to look in at her sleeping form. I stand there a few more minutes before I decide to wander the house and get my bearings. Just past Libby's room is the one that Julie and Philip are staying in, I can smell Philip's cedar cologne. I walk past that one and then up the stairs past Melissa's room and stop outside of Scott's.

I turn to leave just as Scott steps out, causing me to jump. He calmly and quietly closes the door behind him. I'm sure Stiles is still asleep. He doesn't say anything, he just leads me down to the kitchen.

When we get down there he motions to one of the chairs at the table. "Would you like something to drink?" He asks heading to grab a couple glasses.

"Just water, please." I reply and look down at the table.

Scott sets the glass of water in front of me then sits down. "What were you doing Kallee?"

"I... I couldn't fall back asleep. So I decided to look around." I blush and wait for him to kick me out for snooping.

"Did you look in on Libby?"

"Yeah. She is sound asleep. She is a fairly heavy sleeper.

"Yeah she is. I was wondering. About you dream. What was it about." Crap I do not want to explain that. Think quick Kallee.

"I don't remember much. Just that, it was very realistic. There was something to do with gun shots maybe." I say keeping my heart rate as even as possible, I don't want him to know that I am lying. Unfortunately I don't think he believes me.

"Interesting.." Scott says, more to himself than to me.

"What?" I blanch.

"It's just well its just that your heartbeat is totally normal."

"Is that bad?"

"Well, I would think that if it was as realistic as you said and with you being as scared as you were.. Well I just would have thought you would have a faster heartbeat. You're not hiding anything are you?"

"No. There are things you don't know, but that's because its better off that way. I... there are certain things about my past that, I don't want anyone to know, because if you did you would look at me differently."

"You do understand why I'm doing this. Making sure who you are. If you really are Libby's older sister then you would."

"I do. You want to make sure she is safe. Like I did when I got her out of that foster home. I appreciate that. That's why I was here in the first place. To make sure she would be safe now. I promised our mom that if anything happened to her that I would protect Libby no matter what. Thats what I'm trying to do." I finish. I can hear Libby getting up, I look outside and realize that it is now light out.

"Sounds like Libby is going to pounce on Stiles. She does it every time he stays over." Scott says before standing up and making breakfast. I smile slightly and then head outside and sit on the porch swing.

I was out there for a few minutes before the wind shifts and I catch an unknown scent. I stand, taking in a deep breath to determine the source. Whoever is out there isn't friendly. I shift my eyes to those of an eagle so that I can try to find the mystery creature. I catch sight of a dark blue jacket just as a door slams and I quickly shift my eyes back to my natural eyes and turn to see Stiles.

"Breakfast is ready." Is all Stiles says before he turns and races back inside, probably to make sure Scott won't eat all the food.

I take one last glance at the spot where I saw the mysterious figure, before I head back inside.