CHAPTER 4: Awkward Encounters

" I am not special."

    "Charlie, you can't always deny the obvious." Camila countered.

    "I am not. Shut it. I'm not going  to talk about this anymore."

    "Whatever floats your boat C." She leans over the table and ruffles my hair. She was smiling silently as she ate her salad. Vincent was silent too, but a frown was embedded on his features.

      What happened to the relaxed mood before I arrived. Did I kill it?

     " Wanna come play with us later?" Vincent offered. Staring directly at me with his emerald green orbs. "We're going for a round of soccer. Well?"

     I haven't played in a while, my body could afford a little exercise.
     " Yeah. I'll come with."

    Vincent's lips pulled up into a smile showing off his perfectly white teeth. "Wow. Charlie Paxton finally agreed to play."

I shot him a warning glare. "Don't make me change my mind."

     He threw his arms up in surrender and laughed. "Woah there tiger, I was kidding."

"You better." I jokingly replied as I stood up from my seat. "I'll be in the library for the whole afternoon. If you're going to look for me, you'll find me there."

"Don't you have class?" Vincent questioned. There was spaghetti sauce on his cheek the entire time, but I wasn't telling him that.

"Nope. Mr. Jefferson's on leave."
I winked. On the inside, I was laughing my ass off.

"Oh you lucky bastard." He grumbled making me chuckle.

"See you Vin. Cam." I waved at the two then  stalked off towards the library.

     I quickened my pace. My adrenaline pumping in my veins knowing that a fresh shipment of books was going to be put on display today.

     When I entered the library, an involuntary shiver crept up my spine. I stopped in my tracks.

What was that?

    I looked around. There was nobody else in the library aside from me, the book keeper and Susan, an acquaintance of mine.

     Must be my imagination. I brisk walked towards the east wing where the new books were now placed. I could live here, if only it was possible.

   I scanned the shelf and smiled so wide my cheeks ached. I ran my hands across the spines of the books and squirmed inwardly.

I can't wait to read all of them.

    I grabbed one of the books and nearly gave myself a heart attack when I saw a pair of eyes behind the shelf I pulled it from. Startled as I was, I dropped my book of choice but my eyes remained on the boy on the opposite side of the book shelf who was mirroring my shocked expression.

We barely blinked.

We sucked in a breath in sync.

At that moment, my mind went blank. I couldn't think straight.

A few moments pass and I finally recovered from my initial shock. Breaking eye contact, I leaned down to grab my book. Hopefully he'll forget about it too. That was one of the most awkward things I have ever experienced.

    When I stood back up with the book in hand, I took one final peek at the guy through the spaces in between the books but he wasn't there anymore. A feeling of disappointment consumed me which left me baffled. I haven't even met the guy. So why was I feeling disappointed? What is wrong with me?