Chapter 12

The 'Delaney King incident' was followed by another one. Only this time, it was a male and female pairing, and the two mutually consented on the mating. Romantic really.

When word spread about them, nearly everyone in school wanted to be mated to a wolf. Why? The popular answer was because they were beautiful, loyal, and basically anything you'd ever want in a person. For a week or so, the wolves were surrounded by large amounts of people who were not so discretely pinning for them.

But when a push came to a shove, the wolves did not hesitate to draw the line. One of them snapped and accidentally shifted into his animal form, nearly mauling the face of a too close for comfort teen. He was stopped just in time by his pack mates and was later punished.

It was then that the wolf craze died down. The students realized that the wolves were still a species to be feared.

Charlie, amidst all that chaos, holed up in his room, and refused to leave. He wanted to stay away from all the issues the wolves invoked upon the school and only went out to attend classes, restock his book supply in the library, play a game with Vincent and his group by the field and of course, eat.

Life was pretty much as it was back then for little Charlie. Except for the fact that Camila and Ben had mated, and was now sharing a room by the left wing of the dormitory. It was law that newly mated wolves should stay close with their mates for they tended to be more feral.

Wild. Unstable. Violent.

Even little things could set them off.

Charlie remembered congratulating the two before all hell broke loose. Since then, Charlie was never able to approach Camila. And in turn, Camila was not able to approach Charlie or Vincent.

------------------

Just off to the corner of the field, by the bleachers, sat the Vincent and Charlie. The sun was shining over head, but clouds littered the sky, bringing along with it the onslaught of rain.

"So. You wanna come to the Halloween dance with me?" Vincent asked, dimples showing clearly on his cheeks.

"What?" Charlie snorted. "Like your date? Not happening buddy."

"Oh come on. Were living the bachelor life. We should enjoy it as long as we can." Vincent said. He knew that Charlie avoided every particular event the school held as much as possible, but this time, he was determined to change his mind.

"I don't know."

Vincent maneuvered on the bleachers to fully face his best friend. He could feel the unease conquering Charlie's features. "It'll be fun C. Promise."

"You said the exact same thing last year, and people ended up being suspended. Good thing I did not attend that mess."

"Come on. There won't be any trouble this year, the principal said it would be a proper event. With suits and gowns and stuff."

"No Vin. No." Charlie groaned.

"Come on C. Hot chicks would be there." Vincent coached, patting the smaller boy's back.

And Titus would be too.

"I don't want to?" Charlie said, but it came out more like a question. "I don't really feel like scoring chicks."

"Oh you, stop acting like a virgin." Vincent retorted, sticking his tongue out at him.

Charlie couldn't control the heavy blush that covered his cheeks. He hated being called a virgin because he was one. And the truth weighed him down.