Chapter Nineteen

"Moriarty."

Sherlock was still standing. Moriarty pushed him out of the way and sat down in his chair.

"Long time, Sherlock." Moriarty grinned. Sherlock sat in the chair opposite Moriarty. "What do you want?" Sherlock asked. Moriarty pulled an apple out of his pocket and started tossing it. "I owe you, Sherlock." Moriarty said. "What do you owe me?" Sherlock replied.

"I owe you a fall, Sherlock."

Sherlock frowned, but shook away the words.

He turned when Sherlock heard the door open. Someone padding up the stairs. Sherlock knew those footsteps. Soft and a light.

Emily stood in the doorway. She gasped when she saw Moriarty sitting there, carving into the apple.

"What're you doing here?" Emily asked, slamming the door shut.

"What're you doing here?" Moriarty replied. Emily snorted and sat down in the chair next to Sherlock.

"Speaking of you....how'd that kiss work out for you?" Moriarty asked. Sherlock stiffened and sat up straighter.

"Leave her alone." He said. "Protective." Moriarty nodded, returning to the apple. He put a piece he'd carved out in his mouth and stood up.

"I owe you."

Moriarty tossed the apple to Sherlock and then turned to Emily.

"Keep 'em alive. I'm not done with them yet." He told her. Emily glared at him. Moriarty left the room.

Sherlock looked down at the apple.

I O U

Is what it said. Sherlock slammed it down on the table as John walked in.

"What was that all about?" Emily asked. "I have no idea." Sherlock growled. "What're you two talking about?" John asked. "Nothing." Emily and Sherlock replied. John frowned, but proceeded to set the bags he had down.

Sherlock slipped on his coat and slipped out the door. Emily followed.

"Why does he owe you a fall?" Emily asked. "Got no idea, Em." Sherlock replied, glaring at the table. "I know you'll figure it out. Soon enough, Sherly." Emily said. Sherlock looked up at her, a slight smile on his face. "What?" Emily giggled, taking a small bite of one of her chips.

"Nothing." Sherlock replied, still smirking slightly. "There's obviously something going on in that brain of yours." Emily replied. "I don't know what it is, then." Sherlock stated. "Oh, come on." Emily laughed. "It's really nothing." Sherlock replied. "You're going to end up telling me, I know you will." Emily sighed, finishing off her meal.

They stood up and started to walk.

Emily pulled her sweater tighter around her body.

"It's a bit nippy out here." She stated, shivering slightly. "We're almost to the flat." Sherlock replied, staring straight ahead. His eyes didn't move. He didn't blink.

"What're you looking at?" Emily asked. Sherlock didn't reply. Emily averted her eyes so she was looking the same direction Sherlock was. Her eyes widened when she saw what Sherlock was looking at.

Moriarty.

He was grinning at them as they neared. Just standing there. His eyes followed them as they passed.

"What the hell?" Emily said once the were well past. Sherlock didn't reply. He looked down, his hands deep in his pockets. His dark curls fell into his face. "Are you going to be okay?" Emily asked, concern showing in her voice. Sherlock nodded, not looking up. They rounded a comer and found themselves on Baker Street. Emily pulled out a key as they came to two hundred and twenty-one B. She unlocked the door and let a shocked Sherlock inside. They climbed the stairs and stepped through the door of the flat.

"What's up with him?" John asked. Emily shook her head and slipped off her shoes, not bothering to answer. Sherlock didn't want John to know. Sherlock slipped off his coat and scarf. He sat down on the couch and looked at Emily as she plopped down next to him.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Emily asked.

"I'm fine, Emily."

Emily rolled her eyes, knowing it was a lie. She didn't contradict him, though she wanted to.

"Will somebody fill me in on what is happening?" John asked. Sherlock glared at him. John was completely oblivious to the fact that this was a private conversation. "Fine," John hissed. "I'll just leave." He got up and slammed the door shut. Once they'd heard his footsteps going up the stairs, they resumed their conversation.

"Why can't you just tell him?" Emily asked.

"I don't want him to be involved." Sherlock replied. "He's already involved, Sherlock. He was almost blown up by him." Emily stated. "Yes, I know. But maybe he won't get hurt if he doesn't know about this." Sherlock replied, his head in his hands. "You know Moriarty. That's not how he works." Emily stated.

Sherlock glared at her. "Look, Sherlock. We'll find out what he wants soon enough, then we can stop him." Emily told him. Sherlock stood up and walked to the door, locking it. "That's the problem, Emily," Sherlock said, turning to face her.

"I don't really know how to stop him."

"Sir, we've got a big case in southern London." Donovan said, setting a file gently on Lestrade's desk. "Not our division." Lestrade replied, returning to his phone.

"I think you'll want it." Donovan replied.

Lestrade sat up and took the file, flipping it open. He shot up, slipping the file under his arm. He walked quickly around his desk and past Donovan. She watched him go, a but shocked. Lestrade turned to face her.

"Well, come on."

Off they walked.

"There's another one!" Donovan shouted as they left the scene.

"Where?" Lestrade asked.

Donovan quickly told him where the new crime was and off the sped.

"Lestrade, there's another one. Come on. I'll explain on the way." Donovan said.

"Again!" Lestrade shouted. "My god, let's go."