H for Hartley Chapter 4

I didn't see James at all at lunch. Maybe he went off campus and into town for something to eat. 

I doubted it, because you weren't allowed out. Not when you're new... 

I pushed that thought to one side as I tried to focus on French. 

I hated French. Not necessarily the culture or the people, just the language. I couldn't register it in my mind. 

"Bonjour!" the small tanned teacher greeted the class. That was probably the only word I knew. 

The class mumbled back 'Bonjour' and the teacher continued. 

"Comment ça va?" 

"Ca va bien merci." A few people muttered. 

She looked annoyingly at the class and sighed. "It's a shame how you all couldn't just learn the language in a night." 

We all nodded. We understood THAT. Only because she was speaking in English now. 

She made a frown and suddenly turned to me. "Violet?" 

I froze, "Yes...?" 

She gave me a look and I realised my mistake. "Oh sorry...wee...?" 

She nodded. "pensez-vous, vous passerez français?" 

What? 

I blanked. What in the world does that mean? And why was she picking on me? 

"Excusez-moi...?" 

She chuckled along with a few people in the class. 

"Good try Violet. I asked you, 'Do you think you will pass french?'," 

"Oh," I sighed, "Non." 

She chuckled again, "Well we'll try and change that around by the time of the exam comes. Along with everyone else who I assume is the same." 

I nodded and smiled uneasily, as there was a knock on the door. 

The door opened and I recognised a familiar pair of Hazel eyes and a black leather jacket. 

"Sorry I'm late miss," James said politely. He held a note in his hand, which he gave over to the teacher. 

"Take a seat Mr Hartley," she smiled but then held a hand out. "You don't know how to perhaps say that in French do you?" 

James smiled a said,

"Désolé je suis en retard manquer." 

My mouth dropped. 

The teacher's face lit up with surprise, "At least there is one. Thank you Mr Hartley." 

"No problem," he shrugged and began to walk to his seat. 

"Did you hear all that Violet?" The teacher asked. "Did you hear Mr Hartley?" 

I tore my gaze away from James to look at the teacher. I nodded slightly,

"Yes..." 

She chuckled and turned to the register.  

James smiled at me as he walked past my seat, and I looked away feeling the blood rush to my cheeks. 

How could he speak French? Maybe he had relatives from Canada, I thought. 

I saw James looking at Rebecca for brief moment, and she smiled at him before turning away. 

I saw a smile twitching on his lips before he turned to sit on his seat, which was unfortunately behind me. 

I felt his eyes on me as I heard him sit down and I didn't know what he was thinking.