Chapter Twelve: Contestant 157...

Contestant 157...

An envelope was stuck under the welcome mat to the Carter's house. Luke had disappeared once again after Nora's refusal to marry him again, while Eli on the other hand had spent the past week in his bed. Eli got up this morning to his phone ringing as Izzy was calling him; a new daily routine. Walking into the kitchen Eli remembered there was no food in this house and walked outside with the intent to go to the store. Ignoring it at first he turned around to lock the door, then before walking out to his truck he picked it up and jumped into his vehicle. Throwing the envelope with important stamped on the outside in the passenger seat he took his wallet out of the glove compartment and checked to see how much he had to buy food.

Reversing out of the driveway, Eli glanced over at the envelope imagining what was inside of it as he drove into town parking in the store's parking lot. Slamming the door shut, he walked into the store and grabbed the staple items and kitchen should have in it: milk, eggs, juice, bread, peanut butter, butter and a few other things. Paying the woman, she looked at him and asked how had he cut his face. Eli's injuries from that last episode were almost all healed except a few cut. Shrugging and saying, "just being a stupid teenager," and walked away.

Pulling into his driveway and parking he grabbed the envelope and opened it revealing a letter,

"Dear Mr. Carter,

In this letter..."

Eli finished reading the letter then slammed his fist on the steering wheel hard, letting off a loud horn blast. Vulgar language escaped his lips as he unleashed his anger out on the steering wheel before resting his head on it. He pulled out of the driveway again and drove back into town this time to a different place. Looking in the mirror before getting out of the truck, Eli mad sure he looked semi decent before walking through the double doors. Walking up to the counter, one, two, three. Introducing himself and asking where Mr. Cardiff's office would be located, four, five, six. Getting into the elevator, seven, eight, nine. Knocking on his door, ten, one, two. Sitting in the leather chair, three, four, five. With the slightest movement of his lips Eli told himself to focus, six, seven. The door opened and shut once more and an old man sat across of Eli, eight, nine, ten.

"I see you received the letter that is meant for your father," He looks at his clipboard, "Eli Carter, son of Mr. Luke Carter and deceased Mrs. Stacy Carter." Swallowing a lump in his throat Eli almost nodded his head, but managed to choke out a single word, yes. The man who was, Dr. not Mr. Cardiff was sitting across from Eli began to speak once again.

"Your father, I see is on a list for a kidney transplant. The reason I sent this letter out to you is because with the normal hospital he would have to wait longer than he would probably live for and we have a donor that in a month will be able to give up their kidney and Luke's dad was my friend so I wanted to give him the opportunity if he wanted, however I'm not sure if the expenses will be too much or not."

Eli wished he could have just seen Luke die due to his choices, but before he could truly think the words flew out of his mouth, "He'll take it and the expenses will be covered." Dr. Cardiff's face lit up like a street lamp lights a street. He then began to dig through his drawers pulling out paper after paper. "Bring these to me as soon as possible, either one of you, Luke or yourself." And with that he politely excused Eli from his office and his secretary June gave him the doctors hours and Eli was back out at his truck before he knew what had just happened.

Getting home once again, he grabbed a piece of bread making toast with apple juice for his breakfast. The papers were sitting at Luke's spot at the table and Eli was in the living room with the television on. Although, he was drifting off to sleep after eating and watching a random show. Today was one of the first time Eli felt like getting up and he now almost regret it. Waking up to a knock on the door, he got up and opened the door.