Chapter Three: Six Months Ago...

Six months ago...

"Eli Taylor Carter, if you're not down here in five seconds you'll regret making me wait!" his father shouted up to him as he was getting dressed. Eli figured he could button up his shirt. Carefully, Eli slide each button through the designated hole, straightened his shirt, and ran a hand through his hair before dashing out of his room throwing his jacket on as he stumbled downstairs. Just before he ran out of his room Eli caught site of the wood of his Dean acoustic.

Luke assessed his son's appearance before giving him an okay with a nod and motioned Eli to sit as a car pulled into the drive way. Eli's thoughts raced as what was happening and because of his guitar. He hadn't picked up either of his guitars since his mothers death half a year ago. Then his thoughts went to what was happening as a beach blonde walked into the kitchen hanging around Luke. Eli had been learning to deal with his anger but one thing he wasn't prepared for was his dad finding another woman. Eli got up and brushed past his dad and the girl. "Eli Taylor Carter get back here right now!" Luke shouted at Eli who stormed out of the house and past his truck.

Luke gave a half smile to his lady and she smiled back. "I'm sorry about my son, he's an ungrateful teenage guy. Please forgive me." Then the two began to eat the dinner Luke actually managed to make, while Eli ran to his coffee shop. Eli picked up a rock and threw it at the window; next he punched the double glass doors making them shatter, almost as if he was reflecting his life. Robert, the manager knew Eli and took a second to think before calling Officer Declan. Eli collapsed in front of his shop and broke down.

"WHY!' he screamed.

"Damn it, why did you leave me with him!" he cried to no one.

"Come back, I miss you Mom..." he was cut off as Officer Declan got a hold of him and tried to take him away. Eli tried to resist and fight back but he knew he wasn't nowhere near strong enough to take on Declan. Feeling Eli relax he released his grip on him a little and placed him in the back of the squad car locking it. Eli had passed out. Officer Declan walked over to Robert and began to speak.

"I'm sorry about the damage Bob."

"It's fine it's technically his place, Stacy left it to him in her will."

"Well still... I wonder what made Eli do this, did I hear him say '...why did you leave me with him." The officer asked. Robert nodded and told him what was rumored about the Caters.

Taking Eli back to his house Declan looked at the kid and sighed. "Eli what have you become?" He carried him into his Tudor ranch, placed him on the bed in his guest bedroom, and turned out the light.

While all of that had happened Luke and his lady, finished eating then moved onto the bedroom for the rest of the night. Waking up in the middle of the night, beach blonde woke up and left a note for him and quickly left. Luke woke up a few minutes later to see her pulling out of the driveway and he got mad grabbing an empty beer bottle and throwing it at the closest thing possible. Eli's school picture from seventh grade swung on its hook, the glass slowly shattering and falling before it crashed to the floor. Luke picked up the photo and punched it and threw it as far across the room as he could before muttering a string of curse words to Eli's photo and heading back upstairs.

Declan kept checking in on Eli periodically throughout the night and smiled as he saw Eli sound asleep. 'He needs a good night of sleep,' he thought to himself and closed the door before going to bed himself.

The next day Eli woke up, not realizing he wasn't in his home, and walked into the kitchen not noticing Officer Declan either and opened the fridge. "Well glad you think this is you're home kiddo." Eli jumped a foot in the air and spun around so fast he was surprised he didn't give himself whiplash. He sat Eli down and explained where and why he was here and told him he was welcome to his home any time he needed a safe place to be and a good night rest. The officer gave Eli some clothes to wear home and then drove him back home. "Thanks," he mutter before climbing out of the squad car and took a moment to mental prepare himself for what to expect from his father.