Chapter Eighteen: Love Drunk, Maybe Not

Chapter 18...Love Drunk, Maybe Not

Mr. King helped Eli send the video and offered for Eli to stay and eat dinner with him and his wife as their kids were off in college still. Eli felt like he couldn't say no to the King's after all they've done for him with the contest and in general. Plus, it was taco night and who could say no to free tacos, free because Eli didn't have to buy a taco kit and ground beef to make them himself or he didn't have to spend the money to go somewhere and buy them. The two ascended from the basement in time. Mrs. King came out of the kitchen placing the taco shells on the table with the meat in the center and she grabbed lettuce, cheese, and tomatoes from the refrigerator.

"Looks good Mrs. King." Eli said to be polite even though despite like tacos he just wanted to go home and be alone.

"Why thank you Eli, now only if my own kids would not take for granted every meal I make for them." She said with a slight laugh at the end.

Eli sat in his usual seat when everyone was home and he sat in on meals and ate. The dinner began off fine and by Eli's fourth taco someone had to mention the lies about Eli.

"Eli you do know about everything going on right?"

"What are you talking about?"

"It's about the contest..."

"Yea I know about that."

"Oh..."

Awkward silent filled the room after that and Eli yet to look either one of them in the eye. He finished his taco and thanked them for the meal and he excused himself leaving their house. Mrs. King looked at her husband and cuffed him upside the head and sternly scolded him as if he was a child for bringing that up around Eli, when he most likely knew about it.

Driving home Eli sulked in his seat wishing for the stupid contest to be over. He knew that everyone would regret having told the lies when they realized it was true. All he could do now was prove that he deserved to win the contest and hope that the small minded people who thought he was just trying to get attention realized that he could care less about the attention and actually needed the money from the contest. Pulling into the driveway he stopped by the mailbox that seemed to be over flowing with mail. Hate mail would most likely be coming into his mailbox if people found out his address and he hoped Danny and JoBell would try to protect him in the way that they condoned the behavior of the monkeys or they would not give out any of his personal information. A lot of people knew where he lived, but not the exact address of house.

Walking in the house, Eli slipped his shoes off leaving them by the front door as he usually left out that door the most than using the garage even though he could park the truck in there, he just found it easier to leave it out since the garage needed to be cleaned. Talk about spring cleaning that would have to come up after the winter months and with that he fell asleep only to wake up the next morning before he wanted to.

A sigh escaped from his mouth. Just a couple more rounds and Eli would be done with the contest and had no idea what he would after it, but at the moment he thought he'd be extremely happy because they people wouldn't be in his business like they were at the moment. To add to the news, the daily phone call from Luke pissed him off. He talked about how the nurse he was taking care of him looked good and once he was out of the hospital he would date her. The two of them never talked of dating since Nora wouldn't marry him running away from the Carter's as soon as the truth came out. He didn't mind Nora as she didn't try to act like Eli's mom and she managed to get Luke of Eli's back a couple of times, but she was the last girl Eli could tolerate with Luke. Now he spoke of someone else and Eli immediately hated it. Why should Luke have a girlfriend.