-8-(Edit)

8

.

Zhao Jiayi

.

It took all of the insanity within me to walk up the steps and knock on the doors to the chamber, even more so when the answer came for me to enter. I pushed the door open with a trembling hand, stepping in with my head bowed and moving no further than the entrance. "Sorry to disturb you General..."

From the corner of my eye I could see him freeze at the sound of my voice, spinning on his heel to face me. "Ni....why are you here?"

I forced myself to look up towards him. "General Wu-Ji told me that you were feeling unwell. You are residing in Dong Wu, it is my responsibility to make sure that you are alright." The General sat down on his mattress and continued to stare at me. "You mean for me to believe that you actually worry about me?" I bowed my head slightly.

"I do worry General, you are a guest at this manor, nephew to the blessed Bixia himself-." I could not continue once he began to laugh, staying stiffly still it died down and his steady gaze transformed into a glare.

"That is humorous...for a moment I began to seriously doubt your view of the royal family." I stole a confused glance at him.

"Pardon?"

He stood up once more and slowly sauntered over to near where I was, eyes never leaving mine as he did so. "You resent me...don't you?" I frowned despite myself. "If I ever gave you such an impression, I beg for forgiveness General."

General Xiao stopped right in front of me, then proceeding to circle me as if he were a hawk...and I a prey.

"Your talent confuses me Jiayi....what is it exactly?"

Anxiety clawed at every part of me. "It was shown to you yesterday...may I ask what do you mean?"

He paused in his steps as she stood behind me, speaking so that I realized he was much closer than expected. The hairs on my neck stood.

"A kingdom of Gong Xia Yi comes to pay tribute to the Great T'ang, T'ang sends them back and laughs, 'I am not a Gong Xia Yi, we value workers above the rest'. Then T'ang turns around and beats it merchant...Is this how you see this kingdom?"

I bit my lip as regret washed over me like a surge. I should have kept my mouth shut, maybe not shown up that day at all. Perhaps another talent could have been used, this was not meant to happen.

"I have offended you-."

"Not at all...you have confused me, that's all." His voice had deepened as if it were a secret for only me to hear, his breath hitting the skin of my neck enough to cause me to tense.

"How is a merchant's daughter so well versed...how are you daring enough to say this in front of the Imperial family, yet not even able to look me in the eye. You have enough of an influence over this family, yet you act as if you're one to stay in the shadows. The secret is out that you have many, many talents; yet you act as if it was never disclosed by your own family...do you not want to marry me because I am of royal blood, or do you have something else to hide?

"Who are you, Zhao Jiayi?"

By the time he had finished speaking he was closer than before, if that were possible. The hard surface of his chest lightly pressed against my back, I could feel his eyes peering down at the side of my face.

"Ah-Yi., no, beggar girl...who are you?"

Tang Zhen-Ting