-12-(Edit)

12

Li Wuji

There was a different atmosphere in Qi Zhao Liang, one that I didn't like at all.

The maid ran back and forth from chamber to chamber, the guards were more stoic than usual in their posts, and it seemed almost as if death had fallen upon the manor.

I had no idea why, that was, until I found myself near the cherry blossoms at the front entrance of the manor.

I didn't expect to see Tang Liangjie and his sister there; fighting. I stared on with curiosity as the siblings' swords clashed and strikes were thrown, wondering to myself what could have caused such a thing.

I also did not expect for my chest to constrict at the sight of a tear slipping down Zhen-Ting's face. It was a sparring between family, I had not right to interfere, no matter how much I found myself wanting to.

I tensed dramatically as she stopped swinging her sword, dropping to her knees as rain began to fall from a once clear sky. It seemed as though God cried with her.

Liangjie sheathed his sword and bent down in front of his sister. "You said you had no more tears to shed." Zhen-Ting laughed softly at that. "I say that every year Ah-Jie...haven't you figured it out that I'm lying?"

"Abba would not appreciate that...four lashes for every lie you've said in a week." And with that Liangjie sat down on the dampened ground beside his sister, raindrops pelting their skin as they stayed in silence for a moment.

The two jumped to their feet in surprise as I stepped into their view, Liangjie greeting me before Zhen-Ting followed suit hesitantly. It didn't escape me the way she hid behind her brother as I walked forward to address them; she rushed to wipe away any trace of tears from her face. Not even the rain would be able to hide it.

"Wuji Huixia, what are you doing here? Is there a problem?"

My gaze never left her as she made her place beside her brother and bowed stiffly. "General."

I nearly didn't answer Liangjie's question, the sound of thunder startling me from my daze as I finally glanced away. "I was looking for someone to explain what the reason was behind this dreary atmosphere...I suppose that I've found my answer."

There was no response from either of them, simply the rhythmically chaotic beat of the drops falling on the rooftops and the ground. I inhaled sharply as Liangjie returned to his usual composure. "Well then, if you will excuse me Huixia. Are you coming Ah-Ting?"

The two of us watched as she avoided my gaze and shook her head. Liangjie sighed and nodded before bowing his head towards me and leaving in haste, escaping the rain we stood in.

I turned to look at the woman.

"I found a crate of unopened wine and that is a very big problem...no wine should be left unopened. Will you help me solve it?"

Zhao Jiayi

I never bowed at the incense, it would dishonor uncle's belief that he was simply at rest...father still chose to believe that his spirit was tormented yet at peace with his wife...

I sided with uncle at that matter.

The pungent scent filled the memorial room as I sat on a mat and stared at the two tablets.

I was only six when both Uncle and his wife had died; taken away mercilessly by the man who took every shred of peace and love they had fought to build up.

The tablet on the right read Liao Ma-Ning...Zhen-Ting and Liangjie's mother. The one on the far left read Akbaru Alinejad Tang...my uncle.

And in the center, Chen-er, or Badriyah Alinejad..my mother.